Saturday, December 25, 2010

The eve of Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas,
When all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring . . .

                                                   . . . except me.  ;)

I have several things to say.  First of all:

It’s Christmas Eve!

                                          *does happy dance which turns into a fit of coughing
                                   followed by a collapse back onto the chair with a pathetic sniff*

And that leads me to the next thing:  I’m sick.  =(  It’s been coming on gradually for about a week with just a sore throat thingamy.  Part of me thought I could ignore it and it would go away, but alas, it has now developed into a cold and cough.

That in turn leads to number three:  My house smells delicious.  Alright, I lied.  My house feels as if it should and would smell delicious, if I could only smell it.  But unfortunately, this cold does little to enhance my sense of smell.

However, I can still see, if not smell, the preparations going on for our delicious meal.  It has been a Christmas tradition in our family for as long as I can remember that on Christmas Eve, my dad has to make a big fancy delicious meal of things we have never tried before.  Usually there is a theme (we’ve had ornate Mediterranean and African dinners before), and this year, the theme is Mexican.  Mexican rice, seasoned chicken, veggies, chips and dip, and of course sparkling grape juice to top it off. Yummm.

It’s been a relaxing if busy Christmas Eve.  There were little things that brightened the day.  Such as . . . listening to my little sisters watch the old BBC Pride and Prejudice and squeal towards the end, “This is my favorite part!  Mr. Darcy is going to SMILE!!!”  Also, I went around the house doing some photography of Christmas lights and such and experimenting with my mom’s camera (of which this is a sample).  I like Christmas Eve almost better than Christmas itself.

~~~~~~~
Since writing the above, time has progressed.   Our Mexican Christmas Eve meal was wonderful, complete with a desert made by my brother.  After dinner, we went to my church’s candlelight Christmas Eve service, which is truly awesome and such a special time of the year for us there.  My pastor took a leave of absence in the spring to work on some things in his personal life, and he’s just come back this month.  I’m so very grateful to have him back!  He even started singing the beginning song from Lion King in the middle of the sermon.  ;)  He’s awesome.  After church, we returned home.  We always open the little things put in our stockings on Christmas Eve, so we did that as well.  My little sisters get SO loud when they are excited.  =]

I think it’s maybe—just maybe—starting to sink in that Christmas is actually here.  Crazy . . . didn’t we just have Thanksgiving break?  I’ve concluded that one of the reasons I’ve been in denial about Christmas’s approach is because I’ve not had much of that wonderful junk food, sweets, and general Christmas treats this year.  We’ve been so busy that baking things like that just hasn’t happened.  That’s why our special Christmas Eve dinner was so nice.  And tomorrow morning, we shall have my mom’s incredible coffee cake as Jesus’ birthday cake (we light candles and sing Him happy birthday and everything =P).  It’s another way to make the focus on Jesus and remember that Christmas is really a celebration of the birth of our Savior.

Anywho, I’m hoping that this cough will have subsided somewhat by tomorrow because I’ve seriously been hacking all day.  Have a very merry Christmas everyone!  May your celebration be filled with the real reason for joy during this time and for the rest of the year:

"For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

~Isaiah 9:6

. . . Happy Christmas to all,
And to all a good night!

2 comments:

  1. I totally didn't read this whole post, except for the mexican food part. We made spring rolls tonight. =] yay for foreign christmas eve foods!

    But, I wanted to comment- since you told me you were writing a post, I thought it would make you happy to get a comment.

    Maybe later I'll come back and actually read the whole post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the poem you wrote in the last post! Good job! Those are the two things I do when I'm mad- write and play piano!

    Merry Christmas,

    Elijah

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.