Sunday, February 27, 2011

conglomeration

[uno]
Conglomeration.  Such a fun word.  I have this thing for words.  Words are magical.  But besides the obvious reasons, every once in awhile I come across one that just makes me happy.  Just because it's fun to say, means something special, or brings back a memory.  Conglomeration would be the first on that list.

[dos]
This week, I get to do the necessary drudgery of turning in essays and giving speeches.  However, the topics are not so very bad after all.  First off, I'll be writing an essay on Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey.  One of her best and one of my favorites.  If you've never read it--or never read Austen at all (sniff...I'm sorry for you)--you should.  It is, in a word, hilarious.  It's a total parody of the danger/romance/adventure/Gothic novels of the day, and it's greatly amusing.  Jane Austen was brilliant and I wish I could have known her.  Secondly, I have to give a speech.  Aarghh, right?  Well at least it will be a fun subject to talk about--Narnia!  I did a whole research paper last semester about C.S. Lewis's Christian allegories throughout the Chronicles, and now I'll be using that information to give a speech on it.  Lewis...another brilliant person who I would have loved to have a conversation with.

[tres]
Aren't you all super proud of me for not talking about Les Mis at all for a couple posts?  I sure am, but I'm breaking the streak as of right now.  I am officially halfway through the book!!!  718 out of 1432 pages down, with only 714 pages to go and less than a month if I want to finish it before seeing the musical.  I'm on a role.  I'm determined.  It can--it will--be done.  I'm in love with this story, this music, this amazing piece of beautifully written and sung magic.  Gaahh.  I'm going to pass out at the theatre from the sheer excitement of it all.

[cuatro]
Food is a marvelous thing.  In fact, I don't think I could survive without it.  (*ahem* okay, I'll stop with the lame jokes now.)  These two pictures remind me of the phrase "two great tastes that taste great together" even though they're not Reese's peanut butter cups.  I don't even like Reese's peanut butter cups.  But, 1-my professor says this in reference to two philosophies that compromise to become one and thus this little phrase comes to mind for me at random intervals; and 2-they really would taste great together, although unfortunately I didn't have them at the same time.  But seriously, these are two of the best things in the world right here.


[cinco]
Whoever would have thought that the Spanish words for 4 or 5 were written like that?  Not I.  I confess, I know nothing of Spansh except counting (but not spelling) to 10 and "hello" and "thank you."  That is the extent of my knowledge.  French is way cooler; what can I say?  I had to look up how to spell these numbers in Spanish (pathetic, I know).  I probably would have written this as "sinko."  ;]

[seis]
Remember that short story I mentioned that I was writing?  Well, I finished it.  I'm not quite sure what to think of it myself.  Half of me feels very proud of it, and the other half feels quite ridiculous.  It's the idea I had that I couldn't decide whether to make a poem or a story out of it, and so I made it into a strange little "poetical story"--in prose, of course, but explaining very little like I do in my poems.  And it's kind of...I don't know...I would say it's sappy, but it's not, because it's very melancholy.  I don't know.  I'm thinking about posting it up here, in two parts perhaps just to hold you in suspense more.  Whatcha think?

[siete]
Aaannd I have nothing more to say.  But 7 is a good number to end on, don't you think?


2 comments:

  1. Hooray for Les Miserables! Never ever be ashamed about posting about it...the epicness deserves to be shared. Anyway, you've inspired me to start reading Les Mis from the very beginning to the very end. I've already read a few bits and pieces, but now I'm going to do it. Two months until the musical...1400 pages...oh, for the life of me. Thanks for bringing some Les Mis love into my life, Jennoelle!

    In Christ,
    Larkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenn,
    We gave you the "Awesome Blog Award" at our blog. You can copy it at our blog and put it on the side of yours. Please bestow at least one other blog with this award.

    Hope you like it,
    Elijah & Dembre

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.