Friday, March 18, 2011

ohmydearsweetgoodness.

Dear friends, today is a good, good day.  First of all, this was the last day of a week of tests, and I am more than happy to put that behind me.  Long live spring break!  Also, I am now back on facebook after taking a month off.  Petty of me really, but I was beginning to feel cut off from the world.  =P  Why was I taking a month off facebook?  To finish reading my book--namely, Les Mis--by the time I saw the musical.  I figured out about a month ago that in order to finish it on time, I'd have to read about 33 pages a day.  Obviously, that didn't always happen, but I found it easy to read 100 pages on some days when I was in an intense part.  And guess what?

I finished the book!!!!!  <--you have no idea how happy and sad this makes me.  Happy, because it was wonderful, and I've reached my goal, and now I can see the musical without ruining it for myself; and sad, because now...it's over.  Such an amazing book there never was.  GAHH I could go on forever, but I'll refrain.  I think a new life goal of mine is to learn enough French to be able to read it in the original language.  ;)  Anyway, I finished it with three days, eighteen hours, and fifty-one minutes to spare--or in other words, at 1:09 Wednesday morning.  And everyone...

I'm seeing Les Misérables on Broadway tomorrow!

*hyperventilates rapidly* [actually, 1. that's really repetitive because the very definition of hyperventilating is to breathe rapidly so that's like saying "breathes rapidly rapidly" and 2. I've discovered that hyperventilating actually makes me more nervous/excited/jumpy....but you get the point.]

I just know I'm going to get to the theatre and have to pinch myself.  I'm going to pass out from sheer happiness and anticipation.  I've always loved going to musicals, but I don't think I've ever been as crazy excited for one as I am now.  And it's all due to the book...that amazing piece of writing that I now adore.

Monday night I had an emotional break down reading the book.  It had made me tear up before, but this time I cried like a baby.  And it wasn't over anything in particular...just, love for the main character, Jean Valjean, and compassion and admiration and my heart just going out to him.  I always liked Jean Valjean, but it hasn't been until these past few weeks that I actually fell in love with him (not in a weird way...since he's like...between 40 and 80 during the book's timespan).  He's just so good and doesn't get much credit for it.  Tuesday morning I started talking to my mom about the part in the book I had cried over, and started crying all over again, my mom with me, and my two little sisters looking at us like we were crazy.  But then--oh gosh.  Tuesday night...or super early Wednesday morning rather, I sat on the floor, bent over my beloved book, and sobbed over the full last 20 or so pages.  It wasn't only sad; it was actually happy crying too.  But it was--ahh!  SO GOOD.

Now.  Take all the incredible-ness of this story and add music to it, and my life is made.  Okay.  Okay okay okay.  I don't care if you don't listen to this, but if you do, then I can have the consolation of pouring a little dose of awesome into your life.  This is one of the best songs in the whole musical.  And though I'll refrain from telling you everything that's going on in it, believe me, if you know, it's just that much better.  All I'll say by way of explanation is that there's going to be a revolution and they're all deciding what paths to take.  Powerful and gorgeous.  I wish I could sing like this.  The only bad part of this video is Nick Jonas.  Bleehhh.  I mean, he's good for a Jonas brother, but not for Les Mis.



I must now emphasize that my band instructor is the bomb.  He's a total Les Mis fan...seen the musical several times, and we rarely talk about anything else anymore.  He would always go on and on and ooonn about it before I finished the book, and even while I tried to shut him up about his favorite songs, it was a blast.  He let me borrow his Les Mis soundtrack too.  'Tis grand.

I love books.  I love music.  Les Mis is both.  What can I say?  How can I resist?

 -this is actually my Les Mis book-

-unfortunately, I don't have the Les Mis sheet music...*SNAP*  I just realized I DO!  k, but this isn't it.  wanna guess what this is though?-

And...just because...I had to, okay?  All three of these people have amazing voices, and are amazing actors besides.

Alfie as Jean Valjean.  Why?  Well, besides the fact that he has an epic voice and some intense facial expressions when acting out his part, he also has [and really truly, I'm not tryin' to be creepy here] one of the most adorable smiles ever, and an awesome accent.
Ramin as Enjolras.  Why?  Uhmm, if you're asking this question then you obviously didn't watch the video above.  He puts such passion into his role, and his voice--ahhh!  Can anyone deny the extreeeeme talent?
Robert as Gavroche.  Why?  I'm guessing this kid is about 11, and he's the cutest thing in the world.  He sings, and he acts the perfect poor but happy-go-lucky rascal.  Plus, this was one of my favorite characters from the book, so I automatically love him.

If you feel like saying a prayer for me that I don't pass out from excitement before I actually get to see the show, that'd be great.  ;]  And don't worry, you'll be sure to hear more of this after I see it.  I'm pretty sure that after Saturday night, my life will be over and I'll have nothing more to live for.  Have you ever finished a book or something and felt like that?  *sigh*  It's happened to me often, but it actually hadn't for awhile.

Until now.  *claps in giddy anticipation*  And in the words of one of the musical's most epic songs (which you'd recognize if you listened to the video above...hehe):

One more dawn,
One more day,
One day more!

7 comments:

  1. OhMYdearsweetgoodness!!! This post made me so ridiculously happy! I'll try to be brief...but no guarantees. ;)

    Eep! You finished the book! I've read the first third and the last couple of scenes, and I hope to finish soon! I have already seen the musical on TV and listened to a radio drama, so I know the story. And what a fabulous tale it is! The end makes me cry too...such beauty in words.

    That video is absolutely epic...I've seen it a million times, and it will never ever get old. Hehe, I have a crush on Alfie Boe, Ramin Karimloo, and Robert Madge too! But especially Ramin. He sings with such enthusiasm and life. Oh, to sing like that...

    I'm so excited that you're going TOMORROW! I have to wait for another month and a half...oh well. Good things are definitely worth waiting for. I can't wait for your post-Les-Mis blog post!

    "Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in heaven has in store. One more dawn, one more day, one day more!" So happy for you, dear friend! God bless!

    In Christ,
    Larkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm so glad that you finished your book! :D

    xx,
    Bleah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm sure it's a great book! I've listened to the Focus on the Family radio drama and love the storyline! I also have watched one of the movie versions! One of my friend's said that after reading the book she knew more about the sewers of Paris than anybody should :)

    Enjoy the musical!!!

    Elijah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, congratulations on finishing the book and have fun tomorrow!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Les Mis music!! I've never seen the musical though! And good for you, reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading it in my Honors English class and I am almost finished. Super jealous that you get you get to go see it on Broadway!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramin, darling, is MINE!

    Haha, just had to do that do you sis. :)

    So excited for tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.