Sunday, April 17, 2011

mystery of people

I've shared it before, yup.  But the challenge at I Heart Faces this week is "wind" so I had to do it again.  :)



She's so pwetty.  ;P  And the thing is, this picture doesn't even do her justice.

On another note, you will probably not hear from me much during the next week.  I'll be either gone or busy for a good chunk of it.  Seriously, this next week is insane.  Besides having TeenPact (that government class program thing I mentioned) during the day, I have dance class Monday night, rehearsal Tuesday night, something (later, later...any guesses?) Wednesday night, rehearsal Thursday night, and then very possibly sleeping all day Friday.

So needless to say, I'm going to be by far preoccupied with other things.  Buuut dropping me a comment would be lovely for when I come back.  ;)




(the following is an extract from my alternate reality)


People amuse me.  I love to people-watch.  Seriously, who wants to bird-watch when there's people?  I just laugh at people sometimes because it is so easy to do.  And not necessarily out of malice, but just from sheer amusement.

People confuse me.  I'm not bad at reading people, but I'm not especially good at it either.  Sometimes I don't even know how to read myself.  Sometimes I just get befuddled and want to get away from it all.  I wish I could get into people's brains and find out what they're really thinking.  But even that thought frightens me, because I wouldn't for the world want people getting into my brain.

People are a wonderful mystery, each and every one of them.  I like people.  In general, I'm a people-lover.  It's part of me and my personality.  I have a tendency to like anyone at the start, or at least begin with a favorable opinion of them and a will to like them.  And then as time goes on and I actually get to know the person better, I'll form a more complete feeling towards them.

I've been wrong before.  I've known people for a long time, had a certain thought about them, only to discover suddenly that I never really knew them all along.

This happened to me recently.  I liked this person well enough despite some things that bothered me, because that is what I do.  I was even friends with this person, and we saw each other and talked on a regular basis.  But then something happened where I realized I had never really known this person, never really talked, not about things that mattered, not much.  And I suddenly realized how much I wanted to know this person, more than just on the surface.

Then there are people who I like just because I like to people-watch, and they are fun to do it to.  But then something happens that makes me second-guess.  This also happened to me recently.  I enjoyed this person, though we didn't know each other well and I knew we probably never would.  Sure, I knew this person had their flaws, but I like people generally, so it takes something major to change that.  It actually started out as a similar situation as the one I previously mentioned.  Only this time, people disappointed me.

I still don't dislike this person because that's just not me, but this person confuses, surprises, frustrates, annoys--mostly, disappoints--me.  And it's not even something to do with me really; I'm just an indirect observer.  But this person is someone I would expect to know better, to think before acting, to have a little more respect of other people, and to be mature enough to just...have common sense.

The thing is, this person had done it before, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen again.  For all I care, this person can mess things up for themselves, but the fact that they took the risk of hurting, involving, and disappointing other people is what upsets me.  It makes my opinion of this person go down, because I personally can't have much respect for someone like that.

People...I love people.  But we're not flawless, and sometimes we make mistakes.  Sometimes it's good for me to realize that, because people are mysteries, and life can be a beautiful or not-so-beautiful mess.  I guess it's a trust game; thankfully I have Jesus at the head of that.  But it's also a growing experience--and that's not a game--it's a day-to-day reality.  And honestly, I'm intimidated and thankful to be part of it.

13 comments:

  1. What a stunning composition! Really looks like she's thinking about something important even though she is so young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm right there with you jennoelle. i'm a people watcher, and they confuse me! but i'm a person (obviously), too, so i guess i kind of confuse myself, haha:D

    anywho, great post. and so true.

    -anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has beautiful skin! What a great photo. :) Your blog makes me want to know you... you seem like a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The eyes... wow. Lovely photo. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soft, captivating, and definitely one I would hang on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo. I love the angle you chose to take the photo from. The flower is such a nice girly touch : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! What a beautiful photo. Love it!!

    www.wendhyjeffers.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really lovely shot! Perfect wind in her hair.

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, have fun at TeenPact!!! I really liked the Alumni Track this year...

    Good thoughts. Confusing/hurtful people and situations can serve as such lessons for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A most enchanting photo! Beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.