Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I don't like perfect people.

Let's face it.  Most people have come across someone in their lives that just seems to have it all--good looks, good at everything, good life.  Seemingly perfect people.  They've got it all, and they've got it all together.  I've seen people like this.  And I have a lot to say about it; I'm just not sure where to start.


These perfect people frustrate me.  Really really.  I mean, I'm not completely innocent from putting on a front, but I'm pretty sure (or at least I hope) that most people who know me would laugh if anyone mentioned that I or my life was anywhere near approaching perfection.  The biggest thing is that perfect people are honestly depressing.  Because you tend to compare yourself with them, unconsciously perhaps, but compare all the same.  And then you see everything you're still lacking, everything you're still failing at, everything you don't have.  And that's just a major guilt trip, especially because it's all a lie.  The truth is that there are no perfect people.


But that perhaps is the most frustrating part of all.  Why this facade of perfection when we all know that we all know that we all have our own issues?  I mean, c'mon--we're all human.  Why can't we all just be honest with each other?


It's hard to be friends with perfect people.  Or at least to be good, deep friends.  Because perfect people can't relate to your issues, your problems, your tumultuous emotions.  I have people in my life that I wouldn't have expected to go deep with, and maybe still don't even know very well.  But we shared a common "issue"--one we were both going through--something we could relate about, be real about, and be imperfect about...together.  It's a connection.  Perfect people have no connections.  They just are, and poor them, because just being must be pretty lonely.  Even if they do have everything else all nicely in line.


I hate not being able to relate to people.  I hate looking at perfect people and wondering why.  Even if I do know it's just appearances.  It makes people, in my mind, indifferent, aloof, distant, condescending, intimidating, and just plain obnoxious.  I can talk to people who have problems, because I have problems.  I can talk to people who fail, because I fail.  I can talk to people who struggle and doubt and cry, because I do all of the same things.


That being said, here's a shout-out.  I'm not near approaching the proximity of the peripheral vision of a perfect person.  Lord knows--and trust me, there's lots more witnesses.  Moreover, I hope I don't look like I'm putting on the front of a perfect person, because to me, that's not a virtue and it's just not true.  I want to be approachable and relatable and I want to be able to approach and relate at the same time.


The funny thing is that even though I (and I'm sure many, many other people) dislike perfect people just because it's annoying to be around them, I still would like to be one of them.  Half of me still is envious of perfect people and their neat little lives, beautiful appearance, and never-ending list of things they can do and are good at.  While disliking the perfection, I desire it.

Aagh.



So anyway.  I'm not one of those so-called perfect people.  And I don't particularly care for anyone else who pretends to be.  So for all you perfect people out there...go build yourselves an isolated cult somewhere in Zimbabwe.  Isolated, did you hear?  Sometimes I just get tired of dealing with perfection because I feel like I'll never get there myself.

      || "If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be."  -Yogi Berra

16 comments:

  1. *insert clapping and cheering* My sentiments exactly. I know a few that I would consider "perfect people" and I can't honestly say they are anything more than acquaintances because they don't let people see their weaknesses. You are right; we all relate to one another because of our imperfectness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all such pretty shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. Um, thank you. *applause* Perfect people (really, though, they must just be pretending) are so disheartening. I like being imperfect just the way I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the comment on my blog! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your above pictures are beautiful, love the 2 with the blades of grass

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED Pirates 4! Number 1 is for sure my favorite but I like 4 better than 2 and 3...3 especially is WAY too long! haha! I'm glad Will and Elizabeth weren't in it! I missed their characters but I like that the movies moved on, if you think about it their story is over. They have their life and there's nothing left to tell about :) Well, that's my opinion! I REALLY liked the Pastor and the Mermaid Syrena, they were my second favorite after Jack and Angelica :) Syrena was sooo pretty :) Who was one of your favorite characters?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog because I was looking at my sisters blog (A thousand words a day. I saw you r comment on the movie pirates! Was that not the best movie ever. I heard a lot of complaits from people saying it wasn't very good. Well, they obviously weren't paying attentoin to the movie, cauyse it was soooooooooooooo good! I love you blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A reply to a reply to a reply of a comment :) Yup we're freaks :D

    haha! Anyway, I went to see it with my family and one friend. The Missionary was okay, i guess ;)

    I looked it up online and they already have a script for a 5th and a 6th!!! I hope they are good...I also hope they stop after that :) I like them but sometimes good things need to have an ending! Agree? haha! There we go, a question implying the need for another comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! I was being sarcastic :) I LOVED the missionary...looks and all ;) He was nice, Christian, and cute! What better combination can you get? :D Anyway, I have mixed feeling about Angelica too. I didn't mean to write her down! I just meant to say "They were my favorite after Jack." Angelica was confusing. She was funny but had an air of Flirtation about her. Always swaying her hips and wear low tops that showed a bit too much..."up top" :) I like what she added to the movie but just didn't agree with everything about her! How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos! And, thank you for the kind comments. :) I only wish that I could take credit for my header, but t was made by www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com, because I lack that kind of awesome talent! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently read a book called 'the Me I want to Be' by John Ortberg. I struggle a lot with identity and what people think of me and that book has helped. He focusses on who God created us to be and that we should seek that and not compare ourselves to others, or what we 'think' we should be like.

    It is hard when we compare ourselves to 'perfect' people, but I guess there isn't any person who is really perfect. We all have our flaws and problems. Maybe those people who present themselves as perfect are just really insecure and feel like they can't let anyone see the 'real them'. As you say - poor them. Turns our they're probably not so perfect after all.

    Great post! (sorry for the essay!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are lovely! And as far as perfection is concerned, only Christ is perfect and blameless...HE is the only one who will ever be PERFECT. I know exactly how you feel though, Jennoelle! Being that I am 22 and still living at Home and unmarried I get jealous sometimes of my other friends who are married and have the "Perfect Life" that I only ever dream of ALL THE TIME! It's not easy... I dislike perfection because it can never be attained by myself, but yet I yearn to be perfect...whatever that is?

    So here's to not loving perfection, but endlessly loving the ONE who is perfection itself!

    -Sarah Elizabeth
    www.neo-victorian.blogspot.com
    www.daughteroftheking89.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, it was rather "un-Jackly" for him to admit he liked her but then again you never really can get a full hold on his character. He is always surprising you and that's kind of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Trying to change my thinking so this doesn't bother me anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.