Sunday, May 15, 2011

[sixteen & seventeen] Concerning Narnia

Concerning.  Such an epic word.  Probably because it reminds me of hobbits, since there is a song in the Lord of the Rings soundtrack called "Concerning Hobbits."  (Have I ever told ya'll that I'm a LotR nerd?  I am, big time.)  But I digress.

This post does not concern LotR.  It isn't strictly concerning Narnia either, for that matter, but it pertains to it.  Fo sho.


-16: A song that makes you cry-






This song.  "Lucy" by Skillet.  Why, you ask?  Go read this story first of all.  If you consider yourself a Narnia fan in any way, shape, or form, you won't be sorry, even though it is rather long (set time aside and read it...it's worth it!).  It's a fanfic (fiction by a fan) based on both the C.S. Lewis' Chronicles and the song "Lucy," and it's from Susan's perspective after all of her siblings have died and gone to Aslan's World, and she is left unbelieving and alone, only now realizing her mistakes.  It's heart-wrenching and beautiful, and oh-oh-oh...I get chills thinking about it because it is just so amazing and perfect.  I sobbed--I mean, SOBBED--when I read it the first time (and the second time too, actually).  I don't normally sob over short stories written by some random girl on the internet, ok?  It's that good.


So anyway, that's one reason why I find this song so sad.  The other is because of the real reason "Lucy" was written.  It tells of the pain that a couple is going through after aborting their baby girl, and only realizing afterward what a horrible thing they had done.  So their counselor told them to act as if it was an actual death, with an actual funeral, and to give the aborted baby a name.  They named her Lucy.

Agghh such a wonderful song!!

-17: A song that makes you laugh-


This song.  Bahaha.  It comes from an album called Music Inspired by the Chronicles of Narnia, with various artists.  This one is "Turkish Delight" by David Crowder Band, and it's just plain weird and amusing.  Plus a lot of fun.

What are some songs that make you laugh or cry, happy or sad?

Oh, and while I'm at it, does anyone have strong opinions about the Narnia movies vs. the books?  I'm a fan of the first movie, and I do like the next two, to a degree.  But part of me is just so disappointed that they couldn't have followed the books better.  I could go into a novel-length discussion about my thoughts concerning [;)] that, but I'll refrain.

3 comments:

  1. ok so i'm gonna be a hamster for a minute. since youre making me comment i might as well be mean. youre weird. but "pertaining" to the post, great songs, sis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grant, don't call Jennifer weird :P (and...can i call you a hamster then? haha)

    Ah, that story!!!!!!!! OH. MY. WORD. (and I love words). That story...I strictly told myself that I would not cry but I came pretty close to it :P And that song has always made me cry [I love it in its depressingness]...I never knew the story behind it, though. I'd share some laughing/crying songs with you, but I can't think of any at the moment.

    Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe I love you Grant, my hamster brother. =]

    Caitlin--I KNOW RIGHT?!?!?! that's what I said, "ehh, not gonna cry"...but it didn't work. ;P and yeah, the depressingness of that song is appealing to me. :))) especially with all the meaning I put behind it.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.