Sunday, July 24, 2011

cities roadtrip [part the last] + video

Our entire trip was lovely, but in reality, it was the little things that were worth remembering--those were the things that made the roadtrip and sightseeing wonderful.

Things like...

-sipping Coke while looking at Chicago's skyscrapers.


-feeling the sand slip away from under my feet as the waves washed over them at the beach.

-reading my fortune at the Chinese restaurant where we ate.  You think it's true?  ;)


-people watching while riding the L, and not people watching when we were actually underground, in the dark, with only the occasional flash of light zooming past

-enjoying some downtime, listening to Adele and making s'mores.



-affectionately referring to Chicago's trolley as "Charlie" because that is what Tess used to call it when she was small.  Since we all call trolleys "Charlies" now, I'm not sure that Tess knows the difference.

-making our way through the crazy Chicago driving and getting lost more than once

-singing along to Phantom music as it drifted through Millennium Park's amphitheater


-hearing Tess and Brooke's humorous quotes:

Tess, after running into someone in the L station: "That's all that's happened to me all day--I just keep running into people!"


Brooke, singing OneRepublic's "All the Right Moves" very poorly during our long car ride the first day: "Everybody knows, everybody knows where--"
Tess: "But I don't know where we're going!"


Tess, after we paid a toll on the toll road to a strange-looking woman: "We get all the weird ladies."


-catching a glimpse of rooftop pools from the top of the John Hancock building


-trying to comprehend how crazy huge Chicago is--while riding out of the city, the tall buildings just kept coming, and the suburbs reach forever

-watching Cassie's face break into a smile as she watched a movie on her iPod

-falling asleep to the sound of the L


-feeling the wind from Lake Michigan whip through my hair, cooling down a hot day

-catching my first glimpse of Chicago


-capturing one of my first and favorite photos in Chicago


And besides that, I accomplished a few bucket list items as well.

I rode a subway.  Though, I have yet to ride a legitimate underground subway.

I ate an entire Chinese meal using only chopsticks.  Except for the soup, that is.  But hey, pretty close.

And most of all, I read Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, completing my desire to have read all six of her novels.  I loved it, absolutely.  I had seen the movie before, so I knew the story, and I never really cared for it.  I always dubbed it as Austen's worse--the least known and least loved.

But reading the book totally changed that for me.  It's one of her best in my opinion now.  Or at least has the best character depth and development, because in Mansfield Park, her characters are confusing and complicated.  They're not predictable or simple, and I like that.  You have to work to figure them out, just like you do with people in real life.  It was wonderful.




All in all, it was just a fantastic time with the girls of my crazy family.  We had such a blast together.


I put together a video with clips from our trip, Chicago mostly.  It's set to the song "Brand New Day" by Joshua Radin, which I absolutely adore.

                                       

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn!! :) I left a super long comment on your vid on FB, but I know how much you love blog comments...

    I've never heard that Joshua Radin song, and I really like it. Have you heard "I'd Rather Be With You"?

    It is always the little things that make life amazing. It really is. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 this so much. The video clips are awesome--especially all of the feet walking by.

    On your next city-trip, come to Portland and we can hang out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the video you made! I was smiling through the whole thing. Hehe ;) So precious!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. yOUR BLOG IS A COLORFUL ONE WHICH IS GREAT! i ENJOYED LOOKIGN AT MANY POST AND HOPE YOU WIKLL DO THE SAME AT MINE.

    ALSO TELL YOUR FRIENDS AND YORUSLEF THAT I AM DOING MANY BLOG GIVEAWYAS THIS MONTH SO COME OVER AND JOIN THE FUN ALONG WITH MY OVER 100 FOLLOWERS. i WANT OVER 130 FOLLOWERS BY NEXT WEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just browsing and found your blog... absolutely love your aerial shots. You are a great photographer!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.