Tuesday, July 5, 2011

happier than a bird with a french fry


^Not sure why that makes me smile so much.  But it pretty much describes my feelings from yesterday, the 4th of July (ya know, in case you forgot that today is the 5th and thus yesterday was the 4th).


For one, I got to sleep in.  I got to sleep in till noon.  Gosh did I need it.  What with trapshoots and the summer VBS-type camp I volunteered at in the past two weeks, I'd had early mornings non-stop.  Of course, staying up until 5am with friends Saturday night didn't help my tiredness levels much (or my focus in church Sunday morning....*cough*).


After having their family for dinner Sunday night, Isaac and Elijah spent the night with my brother.  Our morning [well...my afternoon....] was relaxing and soon we all headed off to a 4th of July party that friends of ours hold annually.  It was atrociously warm, but I played volleyball anyway.


We ate, and found shade to sit and talk in, and laughed, and ate some more.  Cassie and I had to leave earlier than I would have liked because we had a friend over for dinner.  Oh how I love Sarah.  She's my crazy random friend/should-be-older-sister-by-eight-years who has a special spot in her heart for my younger brother [?] and who introduced me to Tarzan [<3].


After dinner we hung out until it was time to head to fireworks at our town's highschool football stadium.  They always have a pretty legit fireworks display.  This year was no different.  [forgive the crummy photos that don't do fireworks' epicness justice.  hey.  it's a free country.  and today i celebrate the freedom and right to post bad pictures.  k?  k.]  I also ran into a couple of my drama peeps that I haven't seen in ages.



Ya know, I'm not one of those people that is excessively "patriotic" and gets super excited about the 4th of July.  I'm not a big holiday person in general.  But this year I realized, "Hey, I kinda like this day--this one special day out of the year that means so much to our country."


I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that I adore fireworks.  They honestly put a smile on my face.  The pounding, the lights, the atmosphere of people cheering and singing around me--I love it.



And though I can get rather annoyed at the red, white, and blue plastered virtually EVERYWHERE and by the fact that America as a whole can be rather--well, stuck-up and proud...I realized tonight, sitting in the stadium, watching the flashing fireworks, that the 4th of July makes me happy inside.


How was your Independence Day, my friends?
xo, Jenn

ps--this is pretty much my favorite fireworks photo of the night.  BOKEH.  <3


6 comments:

  1. Okay, the "happier than a bird with a french fry" really made me smile.

    It's so funny when you're in a parking lot and a bird finds a french fry and starts strutting around with it halfway in its mouth. XD So funny.

    Glad your 4th was fun!

    ~Keaghan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun hanging out with you guys, too! How was your dinner?

    Tell your bro. I said "hi"

    ~Elijah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the photos of the fireworks! Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last photo of the fireworks looks Monet-ish. And I had a lovely time at your house. Thank you for having us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I know what you mean about the whole not-super-excited-about-independence-day. I LOVE fireworks. But we never seem to celebrate the Fourth (or any holiday) with meaningful things/activities. Which is so American:P Maybe my thinking's all screwy.

    I loved staying up till 5 with you. It's so worth the catching up on sleep:)

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, that little saying is cute, I don't really understand it, but I like it! Happier than a bird with a french fry! :) Awesome photos Jennoelle! Love the firework ones!

    (I'm hosting my very first giveaway on my blog, come check it out and enter!)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.