Friday, August 26, 2011

rambles.

Well hey.

Remember me? Yeah, I'm that girl who used to blog here. The one that went on vacation and seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet. But I'm back. Back to blogging, that is--I've been back from vacation for nearly two weeks now.  But, as it seems to happen [much too] often, I've been going non-stop since getting back.

'Course, it doesn't help that I've been sick for the past week (summer cold, really?  I never get sick in the winter, and now this?  I used up a whole tissue box by myself in two days, and am well on my way with a second.), and had work to occupy me.  And I've been working like mad on photo editing between-times.  Okay, not like mad.  Only when my sister is harping on me to do so.  I've been rather lazy about it really.

---


---

So, during last week, while I worked at another trapshoot tournament, I got to thinking about something.  First, let me tell you: there are weird people that work at trapshoots.  I mean, I've met a handful of great people, and a ton of my friends work there too, but as for the rest--let's just say not the kind of people I typically enjoy spending my day with.  Ya know, the cussing, smoking, too-often-not-doing-their-job type.

Goodness knows I've heard my share of cussing during the 3 years and 9 tournaments I've worked.  And I'll just be honest with you: cussing really doesn't bother me as much as it maybe should.  Take movies for example...language is not that big of a deal for me; I hear it in real-life with college classes and such anyway.  Maybe that's not so good, I don't know.  But for some reason it's slightly different when you have someone talking to you and around you in normal conversation and cussing every other sentence.

I started wondering, When is it too much?  As a light for Christ, it's not my job to be preachy and force people to wash their mouths out with soap.  But on the other hand, Jesus himself was righteously upset when he told the merchants to get out of the temple courts.  When is it something you tolerate, and when is it something you don't stand for?  Especially taking God's name in vain.  I think it's a hard point to decipher really, and I haven't really figured it out.  Thoughts?

---


---

Pinterest.  I love it, and that is all.  It's been a greater time-waster for me than even facebook recently--shocking, I know right?

---

This is how I wish we still dressed.


Isn't it just dreamy and gorgeous and wonderful?  I love 50s fashion, and it's mostly because of those skirts.  They're just lovely and so much fun.  I mean, look at Audrey Hepburn here or here, sporting that 50s style.  She's too adorable.

---

Ohhh my goodness does this make my heart happy.  That's "my" cast, friends.  My cast of Les Mis that I saw in March.  It's just beautiful and breathtaking all over again.

---


---

I've been really happy to get in some summer reading during the past few months, thanks to the many many hours of time I had in the car during vacation.  And they've been good books too--those books that I've been meaning to read for ages and just now finally got around to.  C.S. Lewis, Jane Austen, and other such classics.

---


---

I'd like to ask for a little prayer.  My cough and cold has been annoyingly persistent, and there are several reasons why it'd be incredible handy for it to bid me farewell.  First off, next Tuesday I'm auditioning for a play--Jane Austen's Emma.  It's with the same drama company with which I did Little Women last year, and I'm SO incredibly excited...but nervous too, because I want nothing more but to be in it with the same wonderful people again.  Also, on Thursday I'm interviewing to staff for TeenPact, which would be an incredible opportunity and something I very much hope to be able to do.

As you can imagine, it'd be helpful for both of those things to be able to talk without coughing or having an extremely nasally voice.  ;)  Plus, during Labor Day weekend I'm going to a church camp with many of my friends and I'd really love to be better by then.

---


---

Robert Redford is the bomb dot com.  America's Golden Boy during the 60s and 70s--great [and attractive] actor, now a successful director/producer...I just love him a whole lot.  I've had a sudden urge to have a Robert Redford movie marathon.  If you have never seen one of his movie, your life is incomplete.  Please do yourself a favor and go watch one.

---


---

There are few things better than singing "In Christ Alone" at the top of your lungs while everyone else is away and you're the only one in the house.

---

What has been in your thoughts this past week?

5 comments:

  1. This post made me happy.

    So much darling ramble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed your posts. :) Yet again, you are eerily on the same page as me... I'm so addicted to Pinterest (loving your pins, btw), longing for 50's dresses, and ecstatic that there is a video of OUR CAST! I have never seen a Robert Redford movie... I guess I'll have to do that. :)

    I'll be praying for the annihilation of your cough! Summer colds are the. worst. Hope the audition goes well! Emma = awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good luck on your audition! I'll be praying. Who are you trying out for?

    Those are some very pretty pictures, by the way! And lovely quotes! :) Thanks for sharing.

    About the issue you talked about with the tournaments...I can very much relate to it. And I think the best witness you can be to them is not joining in with their inappropriate language. By staying strong and representing Christ.

    You have a wonderful weekend!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Singing at the top of your lungs when you're the only one at home WINS.

    So does pinterest. And "our" Les Miz cast. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Jenn,
    I don't mind a bit if you stalk me! Due to lots of roadtrips and school starting, I haven't had a chance to talk to my mom about emailing you. As soon as I do, you'll know, never fear! :)

    Oooohhhhh... that's my Les Mis cast too! That video made me so happy. And I'll most certainly pray for your voice to heal.

    Love,
    Larkin

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.