Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas letters

dear snow,
I'm ready for you.  If it's going to be cold, you might as well come.  Please oh please stick around for awhile next time?


dear Mommy,
Thank you for stringing my room with lights.  I kinda sorta love it.

dear odd dreams about bad performances, plastic bag skirts, and muffins,
Uhm, you're odd.

dear candles,
I wasn't supposed to be one of those candle ladies like my mom.  Okay, let's get this straight--I'm really not one of those crazy candle ladies like my mom.  But still, I really like the way you smell when I burn you and when I extinguish you, especially when you are peppermint scented.


dear candy canes,
I adore you, just adore you.  Why are you only around this time of year?  You are so spectacular.

dear pine and little red berries,
We're best friends forever, right?


dear Tess,
Talking to you about how I wanted to be an astronaut as a little girl brought back good memories.  I love listening to you sing your heart out to the piano roll playing an oldie you've probably never heard of.  Baking cookies and writing letters with you is fun.  You're cute.  I want to keep you.

dear m&m cookies,
Oh, you know I love you to pieces...but then I will eat all the said pieces.


dear Brooke,
When I randomly wrote the lyrics "dog days are over" on a sticky note, I was not expecting to find the reply "duh they're over" (spelled "daaaa their over") written next to it.  Thanks for making my day.

dear future house,
If you just contain a deliciously large library, I will be happy.  That's all I ask.

dear tea,
Well, my friend, you've done it again.

dear Christmas tree,
I was rather sad when I didn't get to be a part of putting you up, and I was also sad that my little sisters decorated you while I was gone.  But I was happy that "cleaning the house" gave me an excuse to put up the remainder of the ornaments and re-situate ones that were about to fall off, thus redeeming my part in the process.  You're pretty, and I like you.

entering this in jess's photo challenge--because I love the lights of the season, and consequently, the bokeh ♥

dear ornaments,
Please be careful--you break easily when I'm not paying attention.  Also, I love how every single one of you is linked to a memory, and how we have the tradition of getting a new special one of you each year.

entering this in kelsey's photo challenge--my favorite ornament for sure.

dear Josh Groban,
Thank you for existing.

dear gee gullifers,
I'm pretty sure you're not even a legitimate expression.  So why do I find you stuck in my head?  I'm too embarrassed to use you in public, so I think I'll just stick with "gee" for now, thank you very much.

dear Grant,
Believe it or not, I am indeed surviving your attempts to learn guitar.


dear bokeh,
You're all kinds of wonderful.


dear peppermint mocha,
I usually don't like peppermint and chocolate together, but you are like Christmas in a cup.

dear Christmas shopping,
Why are you always so difficult for me?  I was not blessed with the love language of gift giving you see, so you must take it easy on me in the future.

dear people who compliment me on good hair days,
Aw shucks.  You aren't too bad yourself.

dear fire,
Lighting you for the first time this year made me very, very happy.  You are warm and cozy and extraordinarily close to my heart.  I would also like to remind you that I am not in fact a pyromaniac.


dear Christmas break,
You're incredible.  The end.

20 comments:

  1. I.love.this.post. Every single bit of it. I totally agree- if it's going to be cold, then it might as well snow! And amen on fires, Josh Groban, Christmas trees, M&M cookies, candles, pine and red berries, and of course bokeh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made my day! haha. Josh Groban is definitely amazing for just existing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! your christmas tree is so pretty :)
    also, peppermint mochas are the bomb.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a lovely post, dear, as always. :) Your photos are gorgeous too. You're right - Christmas break is THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. me too to everything here:)
    xoxo
    simi/soul sister

    ReplyDelete
  6. peppermint mochas = happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear Josh Groban,
    Thank you for existing.

    LOL.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear jenn, i love this list. and those pictures. and your blog. you are awesome.

    dear christmas break, please come soon. i sorta kinda need you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay. i absolutely loved this post.

    "dear Brooke,
    When I randomly wrote the lyrics 'dog days are over' on a sticky note, I was not expecting to find the reply "duh they're over" (spelled "daaaa their over") written next to it. Thanks for making my day."

    "dear gee gullifers, I'm pretty sure you're not even a legitimate expression. So why do I find you stuck in my head? I'm too embarrassed to use you in public, so I think I'll just stick with 'gee' for now, thank you very much."

    love love love. 'nuff said.

    -maryrachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it.....every one of them on their own are cool....but together, they make up Christmas........

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a very cheerful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. dear finals,
    please go like a band-aid. quick and not too painful.

    dear brain,
    forgive me for putting you on overload. i promise to stop thinking as soon as we conquer finals.

    dear Jesus,
    thank you for the grace You're giving me to get through this doozie-of-a-week. and thank you for Christmas break, the light at the end of the tunnel.

    dear jenn,
    you're cool. jussayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A couple of notable observations.
    1. Merry Christmas break!
    2. I had no idea what "bokeh" meant until this post.
    3. If God assigned demi-gods to various categories, Josh Groban would be the demi-god of singing.
    4. Cassie is the only sibling who didn't get a letter.
    5. Peppermint mocha is good, but not as good as pumpkin spice lattes.
    6. Use Gee Gullifers, and use it often, and feel no shame. This world needs better exclamations. Would "Gullifers" be pronounced like "Gullivers" ?
    7. *watching you*
    8. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A couple of notable observations.
    1. Merry Christmas break!
    2. I had no idea what "bokeh" meant until this post.
    3. If God assigned demi-gods to various categories, Josh Groban would be the demi-god of singing.
    4. Cassie is the only sibling who didn't get a letter.
    5. Peppermint mocha is good, but not as good as pumpkin spice lattes.
    6. Use Gee Gullifers, and use it often, and feel no shame. This world needs better exclamations. Would "Gullifers" be pronounced like "Gullivers" ?
    7. *watching you*
    8. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE pictures of lights. And, as per usual, your pictures of cookies make me want to bake. And anything that actually inspires me to turn on an oven is magical ;) I'm also craving a snow day. C'mon clouds! Bring the merry-making!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey - sorry if i freaked you out on pintrest... but yeah. it's me, not some weird stalker chick :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Josh Groban, Christmas, Peppermint Mocha...do you get any better then that??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post. The photos in it are fantastic. Mind if I do a similar post (with letters to things about Christmas) on my blog?

    ~nina

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.