Saturday, December 31, 2011

year's end


Christmastime is busy, you know.  I’m sure you know.  Busy yet relaxing.  I saw the Nutcracker ballet with a few friends.  I did last minute gift-wrapping, as usual.  I fell in love with my church's Christmas Eve candlelight service all over again.  I slept in.  I watched an adorable black & white 40's film called The Man Who Came to Dinner while visiting my dad's side of the family.  I ate yummy food.  I watched lots of movies, and listed to lots of good music.  I went to see the zoo lights with my mom's side of the family.  I got a cell phone.  I took bokeh photos.  I had sleepovers with friends.  I saw the awesome new Sherlock Holmes movie.  I had Christmas tea with my "adopted" aunt and uncle.  I helped a friend of the family put up her Christmas decorations and my aunt take hers down.

I am continually humbled and amazed by people who give good gifts--who know how to give good gifts--who put thought and love into it--who surprise me because they really don't have to.  Seriously.  I wish I could become a better gift-giver.

Christmas this year was rather low key.  Slow and relaxing--which, all said, has been wonderful.  But now it's over, and here we are on New Year's Eve.  The end of 2011.

I feel as if 2012 is the year of the future.  Folks, I guess the future gets here tomorrow.  Ya know, the world is supposed to end and all, but before that I'm mostly looking forward to the release of such movies as The Avengers, The Hobbit, and (possibly!!) Les Misérables.  Oh, and it's leap year.

2011...hmm.  It's been full of ups and downs, that's for sure.  I've had some amazing experiences, visited some incredible places, and met some wonderful people.  It's been challenging and awesome, torn with struggles and yet full of adventures.

I was looking back at the list of things I had wanted to accomplish this year.  At some of them, I could nod and know that I had succeeded.  Others I know I did not focus on, and thus failed at them.  And others I know are works-in-progress, to be worked on through this year and beyond.

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, but my one gift to Jesus this year (it is his birthday, after all)--the one thing I want to focus on above all else--is: in all things, to love.  Love.  Such a simple, taken-for-granted little word that encompasses so much of who I should and want to be.  A concept so extraordinary that God is it himself.  God is love.

Geez.

I hope you all have fantastic endings to the old year and fantastic beginnings to the new one.  Any celebrations planned?

xo, Jennnnnn

10 comments:

  1. all these pictures are gorgeous!!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn... I didn't even know about the Les Misérables movie... how awesome! And exciting! :D But Russel Crowe playing a bad guy, and Javert at that? NO! :) I like Crowe too much.

    I'm looking forward to 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait until I can see the Sherlock Holmes movie! Was it good?

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a loverly New Year! :) Those pictures are all gorgeous, by the way. You are so beautiful!
    Oh, and I know what you mean. Some people's gifts just blow me away! I need to work on my gift-giving skills as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gift to Jesus sounds good -- we can't give much, but we can love. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful :) I wish you a very happy and lovely 2012 New Years. Love your photography. Love Bokeh mucho!!! And I can't wait for the Hobbit tooooo!! :))

    Jeanine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE The Man Who Came To Dinner. Amaazing and adorable movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Man Who Came to Dinner is such a great movie (and little known too!). One of my personal holiday favorites...

    Blessings for 2012,
    N

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.