Sunday, February 12, 2012

concerning Downton Abbey

So there's this show called Downton Abbey.

disclaimer: I watched Downton Abbey before it was cool.  just sayin'.  in fact, the past year has been agony--since I was forced to wait so very long from the first season to the second.  now that January and February have brought my happiness back to me, it's the week-to-week suspense that's killing me.  and with a third season already planned for this fall, I'm dreading the summer wait already.


I always try to explain Downton Abbey to people--to convince them to watch it, of course--but it's absolutely impossible to summarize.  Let it just be said that it is a plethora of intriguing subplots, historical background, drama and wit, and wonderful characters, not one of which is uninteresting.


It is set in the early 1900s--just before, during, and after World War I.  Beautiful, beautiful time period.  Beautiful costumes, beautiful lifestyle.  Well, for the rich anyways.  And the Crawleys certainly are that.


Hmm, how about I introduce you all?  Because, you know, everybody in this show and I are such grand friends.


Mary would probably be considered the central character, though there's certainly enough going on in the sidewings that she isn't overwhelmingly so.  She...bothered me, a lot, in the first season, but I'm getting over that now.  And I like that she's not the perfect angel of a heroine.  She's more real than that.  But my oh my can she be stupid.



Edith, her one sister, is positively a pathetic excuse of a person.  So, so bothersome.  (oh, look at this style! lovelovelove.)



Dear sweet Sybil is the youngest sister, and just a doll.  Well, you know what they say--third time's a charm.  Branson can be a little pushy, but the way he looks and talks reminds me of Samwise Gamgee, and that's always a good thing.



Cora, their mother, is really sweet, though lately she's been a little preoccupied and obnoxious.  And she's so naive when it comes to her evil maid Mrs. O'Brien totally manipulating her.  I just love Lord Grantham.  He's been making me nervous lately with some things, but he's such a great dad, if a little out of the loop at times.


Lord Grantham's mother and thus the three girls' grandmother is Lady Violet.  Everything that comes out of her mouth is gold.  So, so funny.


I feel like Carson is the backbone of Downton.  He's in charge of all the other servants, and though he can get rather stuck in his ways, he really is a dear.  He can't leave Downton!  I don't care if he does like Mary best!  And eww, that's Thomas lurking in the background.  Creeper to the max.



Mr. Bates and Anna...have issues.  Ha.  They're great and all, but honestly I feel like their problematic romance (that is, Mrs. Bates won't divorce) has been dragging on too long.  But, Mrs. Bates is gone now?  What do you think this is?!


And then....and then....there's Matthew.  Basically the whole reason I watch this show, let's face it.  Kidding, kidding.  ahem.  He's just perfect.  I mean, look at him in his soldier uniform, off fighting WWI.  He looks quite dashing.  And those eyes.


He and Mary are just meant to be, but right now she is engaged to the disgusting Sir Richard, and he is engaged-ish to Lavinia, who is really very sweet...but she needs to go away.



Matthew is one of those people I just want to hug.  He's just so good.  The end.


Basically this whole post was an excuse for me to post pictures of Matthew.  just kidding guys.

So honestly, if you've never watched Downton Abbey, go do yourself a favor.  (You can find all of the episodes online.)  You won't regret it, promise.  I simply adore it so much that I'm totally watching it over the Grammys tonight.  You better believe it.  My Sunday nights revolve around this show.

Okay, so any other Downton Abbey fans out there?

ps--I finally got myself a twitter!  follow me?


EDIT 2/13/12
okay, so after last night's episode, I decidedly lost respect for Lord Grantham.  And Lavinia!  I mean, I knew she had to leave eventually, but I was not expecting that.  Plus, Matthew actually bothered me for the first time--why doesn't he just make up his mind already?  but, sososo glad Branson + Sybil has worked out, and that Bates + Anna have finally settled their affairs.  I have a growing suspicion that season 2 is going to leave us with a cliffhanger...

38 comments:

  1. I really want to see this. I've heard that's it's such a good show! I'll definitely be checking it out. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it before it was cool too :) But that was a while ago, and I haven't been watching it since then...now I really need to.
    xoxo//simi//âme de soeur
    p.s. Your descriptions of the characters were the best thing that happened to me all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennoelle :D
    It seems like everyone has beene watching Downton Abbey lately and that they love it!

    I started watching the first season when it first came out but stopped watching it because it looked as though there were going to be some inappropriate parts. Especially between two male characters.
    Were we wrong? What do you think? Is this show appropriate for all ages?

    I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd take any opportunity to watch a period film. :) I love them

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm yes, there is that one part with Thomas, aka mr. creeper man. I believe it's in the first episode, and that's the only time something like that ever happens. so yeah, it kinda stinks that they had to throw that in there, but even though Thomas remains a creeper, it doesn't happen again. just skip that scene, and it's totally worth watching. (:

      Delete
  4. Ok thanks! I just might have to check it out again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I watched it before it was cool" - bahaha!
    I've been hearing so much about it lately! I might have to try to find it, although I couldn't find any of episode 1 on PBS.
    I might need to start watching it this week when I come home ridiculously tired from Teen Pact. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. Words honestly cannot express my love for Downton Abbey! Love love love love it. Ahh! The Dowager Countess is definitely a favorite, and Matthew IS rather dashing. ;) The whole show is simply fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister megan and I just started watching Downton Abbey this weekend! I'm in love already. And Lady Violet is a hoot! So excited to watch more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahah, you've been saying "gold" a LOT lately.
    Which episode are you at now? I know it's terribly confusing for me, who oh so atrociously watched the whole season already. -_-

    Honestly I wouldn't mind Cora dropping off the face of the planet. It would be nice. I REALLY dislike her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd notice that. I knewknewKNEW it. ;p
      I'm at episode 6, which shows tonight--and then I think there's only one more...

      Delete
  9. ahh love. we watched it when it first came out too, and had to wait impatiently for the second season. I love Sybil & Branson (even though he is big-headed and agressive <3), and Mary, even though she drives me crazy, and Matthew, yes, definitely. him at war--gah. I want to throttle them both, though--ADMIT YOUR FEELINGS FOR EACH OTHER ALREADY. hence my inordinate love for Branson despite his issues--he is so honest and determined about his love for Sybil. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there! I'm new to your blog, but I love it already! =) I've heard so many good things about Downton Abbey, but never have had the chance to watch it. But I LOVE period films and miniseries' like this, so I think I'd better check it out soon! Is Downton Abbey done by the BBC? I LOVE anything by BBC!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it is! BBC Masterpiece. it's spectacular--you should definitely watch it. (:

      Delete
  11. By the way, I'm doing something fun and movie-related on my blog starting tomorrow, if you want to check it out. =) http://www.petiemariespost.blogspot.com/
    Farewell for now! I look forward to more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh! I am dying to watch Downton Abbey! Everything about it looks so superb!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good analysis! I'm not sure what to think of Lord Grantham after the last episode, but sins can be forgiven..... Isaac and I agree.... Branson sounds just like sam. Matthew is awesome... except for during half of the last episode he reminded me of a vampire. Lady Violet is the best. She has a sour comment for everything. :) Now the suspense of the final episode.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, judging from your disclaimer, you appear to be some sort of British drama hipster. I'd agree with about everything you said, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the chauffeur resembles Sam. Lady Violet is awesome, as is Carson. And I can see you quite liberally took the opportunity to post picture of Matthew. Ahem.
    *watching you*

    ReplyDelete
  15. it looks pretty stinking amazing. i just might have to watch it and see for myself (:

    oh. and my dear friend lily's (over at snatchedfromthewind.blogspot.com) dog is named samwise magee (: jussayin'.

    much love! so glad you're on twitter now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too am a fan of Downton Abbey, only I don't get to watch it on Sunday nights, I have to wait until Monday when it's put up online. After your edit at the end though, I'm very eager to watch this week's episode! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! I need to meet you. I absolutely LOVE this show and Matthew.. Oh Matthew.. <3

    Yeah, Lord Grantham? I don't like him anymore!
    But anyway, I totally agree with you. This show is AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just discovered this show last Friday. And have been slightly addicted ever since - in the middle of season 1 and of season 2 (yes, I know...I'm all out of order, but oh well). And seriously, dear? Edith is lovely! Much more likeable than Mary, I thought!
    -hannah <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm on hold for this at the library. I'm like number 10. I may just have to break down and watch them online instead. ;) Thanks for the summary!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  20. DOWNTON ABBEY IS MY LIFE. and matthew. oh matthew. sigh. you're perfect. that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aah! I love Downton Abbey. :) My mom, my sister, and I watch it every Tuesday online. :) I agree! It was sooo hard to wait a whole year until this season came out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been wanting to watch this show for the longest time! BBC makes such good shows--compared to American TV, which is all trash :/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you seen Lark Rise to Candleford? That was my addiction last year. I haven't seen Downton Abbey yet, but it looks like it's made of the same good stuff. I think the Mr. Bates guy is the same person who played Mr. Timmins in Lark Rise to Candleford.
    Btw, I love your blog. (newest follower) :) And, you've probably heard this, but you look like the perfect Emma. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you! no, I haven't seen Lark Rise to Candleford. I've heard of it though--sounds like it's something I should check out. if it's anything close to Downton Abbey, I'm sure it's marvelous. (:

      Delete
  24. Oh, this post is just awesome! I mean, you don't even want to see how excited I get on Sunday nights when the music starts! Muahaha. ;) I even ended up searching any videos I could find on youtube and was able to watch far ahead and see what ends up happening! It was totally worth it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds lovely...I might just have to find time during the long weekend to watch a few episodes online. ;)

    p.s. your new design = amazingness!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't believe that there is actually a show that us Brits are ahead in watching! Normally it's the other way around.

    I hope you enjoy the rest of the season - it's great! And the Christmas special?....eeek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah yes, you are so lucky--you got it a full four months ahead of us! so so glad to hear the Christmas special is good. I can't wait. (:

      Delete
  27. Considering how many awards it was nominated for at the Golden Globes, I TOTALLY want to watch this now.

    Jessica | Vixenelle

    ReplyDelete
  28. so, i love this show so much. and the dowager countess of grantham is my favorite. and i love anna. and i love cora. and i love this whole show. and yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my gosh, me and my family love this show to death. Literally :) Including my seven month old sister which is hysterical but that's beside the point.

    We watched all of the first season and most of the second on Amazon and then I bought my Mom season 2 on DVD for her birthday. Since season one had seven episodes we assumed season two would as well. Part seven was the last on disc three so we assumed that disc four was just bonus features. Let's just say we went crazy when we found the last part and Christmas special :)

    Agree 100% with everything you said...reading through your post and thinking "gracious that is what we are always saying!". haha! Knew there was a reason I loved your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, and on your edit, my and my sisters has already worked out how to write Lavinia out and the Spanish flu was our mode. You can't imagine our surprise when that was what happened! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. My mom and I started watching season 1 a few nights ago after hearing so much about it and we are really enjoying it! We were kinda thrown off by the one scene between the 2 male characters in the first episode but thankfully nothing else like that has happened so we are good :)
    I love the time period, the clothes, scenery and everything is just so beautiful! I'm looking forward to watching more :)
    Oh and Matthew...he's one of my favorites so far ;)

    ~Samarah

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the awesome pictures! Also, if you're into RPGs, check this out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/Downton_Abbey/index.php?act=idx

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.