Sunday, February 26, 2012

my hero & my camera


I have a confession to make.  I've never owned a camera in my life.  Well, unless you could those disposable ones I used to carry around when I was eleven.  But nope, not even a simple point-and-shoot.  The photos you've seen on my blog have been taken with my mom's Fujifilm.  It's a nice camera, and honestly, I regularly use it more than she does.


I'm not one of those people who can say in their bio that ever since a camera landed in my hands for the first time when I was eight, I knew what I wanted to do with my life blah blah blah.  When I was little, I thought I wanted to be an interior designer.  (This is why half of me still sighs when I think of decorating a future house.)  And of course, before that, my goal in life was to get married when I was seventeen and have a thousand babies.  I kid you not--my mom can testify to this fact.  Thank goodness my plans have changed.



But over the past several years, I started borrowing my mom's camera more and more.  Photo shoots with friends became normal with me, but to tell the truth, I had absolutely no clue what I was doing.  I shot in auto, and I couldn't have told you what aperture was or how my shutter speed would affect my photograph. I just did it for fun, and I loved it.



Fifteen months ago, I started a blog.  I discovered photographers, and I wanted to learn to do that--to take good photographs.  I switched that camera into manual mode and began messing around with settings.  I learned from people like Ruthie, who has honestly been a huge inspiration to me.  (disclaimer: the reason you have heard about Ruthie a lot on my blog is because she is my hero.  the end.)



Well, I've been saving up for a camera for a long, long time.  And then even when I had saved up enough, it took me a long, long time to decide what I wanted.  But finally, on Tuesday, a very good day in the life of Jenn, my camera arrived.  It is a Canon Rebel T3i, and I love it.  (it still needs a name, however.  suggestions?)  Ironically, I didn't get my memory card until two days after my camera, so I was forced to stare at it longingly without taking any pictures with it.  When my card finally came as well, I was ecstatic.


Firsts are rather big with me, so I was determined to take a grand first photo with my brand spankin' new camera.  The following photo in this post is that first one.  I am satisfied.  And then Cassie and I had a wee little photo shoot in the front yard directly (all photos in this post are from that little session).


Friday I went over to Ruthie's house, and we had another wee little photo shoot.  There were two problems with this plan.  One: it was already getting dark.  Two: it was freezing.  We had been having this rather mild weather, so we figured that when we went out into an open field in our dresses and cardigans, we'd be totally fine, right?  Wrong.


The wind was whipping up a storm, and of course then it decided to snow as well.  Our fingers went numb more than once and we were forced to scurry back to the heated car more than once to thaw them.  But it was adventurous, that's for sure.  Oh, and Ruthie posted the few good photos here, if you want to see them.  In fact, please oh please go look, and please oh please comment on Ruthie's little post, because it would make her day, and consequently make my day, and then of course make your day (this it totally how life works, right?).  And I'll give you...hmm....seven extra brownie points each for doing so.  ;)



Yesterday, after spending the night with Ruthie, I went to a wedding with her.  To photograph it.  As her second shooter.  Yes, I shot my first wedding!  It was small and simple, and it went very smoothly, and I listened to whatever Ruthie dear told me to do, and kept taking pictures until I was quite hungry and begging my friend Zach (who was attending the wedding) to steal bread sticks for me.  I am so, so grateful for the experience (have I ever mentioned that Ruthie is my hero? oh, shooting with her is so much fun).


I spent the remainder of the evening at Chipotle with Ruthie and Zach, all of us being very tired and very funny, if I do say so myself.  And oh, this is getting long.  But need I say it?  I am thrilled to have my own camera at last.  Thrilled.  Already it has been put to good use, and I daresay it will continue to.  (And I really do want name suggestions.)  ;)

33 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you getting your camera! Have a great time with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me happy, possibly abnormally happy :))) you are the cutest EVER, and I'm so glad you got your own camera (!!!) I think you know I just got the T2i, which I'm hopelessly in love with, and named it Kestrel. Another name I was thinking of was London (especially since you like Downton Abbey, hehe :)
    xoxo//soul sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah - so so happy for you. Totally looking forward to watching your (already beautiful) photos improve even more now!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. eeep, that's so exciting! I can't wait to see more of the gorgeous pictures you'll take with it.
    well, all my electronics' names start with L. my ipod is Lulu, my old laptop was Leo, the new one is Louie, and my camera is Lilly. you could try something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you got your own camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And may I just add that you look so adorable and pretty in these photos. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratcongratscongrats!! I am sososo happy for you jenn! okay. I've done my gushing.
    The pictures are beautiful and so are you. So, like, I really want your hair. pweese? Ooh, name suggestions...what about Knightly? Seeing as you played Emma? I was going to name my nikon Knightly, but I was too in love with Jeeves.

    Here are some others!
    Rigaud (pronounced Reego)
    Duchess
    Wooster
    Bertie

    Ok, I could go on forever (I do love names...), but I hope that you have a b-e-a-u-t-i-ful time with your camera. Off to see your hero's blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Love your photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yay, yay, yay!!! Everything about this is just gorgeous, you, your sister, the photography.... Ah.
    Names... at the moment all I can think of is anything that has to do with The Scarlet Pimpernel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are gorgeous!! And I love this post!!! (: it's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, how exciting! Congrats on owning your first camera! Love all these photos...you always do an amazing job with a camera, though. And you both have incredible hair. Just saying.

    Honestly I don't have the slightest idea when it comes to names...hmmm...I'll let you know if I think of anything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cool! Congrats on getting a camera. :) I can't wait to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I am sorry to admit this I'd the first time I have visited your blog in a while and I had to say that I am very impressed with how you've grown as a blogger.
    Really, your photos, design, writing, everything.
    I thought I followed you but I guess that's just on pinterest since I basically pin everything of yours (;
    Anyways, that's all.
    I am so happy for you about getting your camera!
    I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
    (:
    -
    Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had tried to comment once before, but wasn't sure if it went through or not. I'm sorry if this is the second one. But I wanted to make sure you got a comment!! Lovely post Jenn!! I love the pictures. Congratualations on your new camera!!! Yay! You are both so lovely and beautiful. You both are very photogenic!! Thanks for posting the pictures!! :) Enjoy your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My laptop is Zac, my iPod is Jack, my tote bag is Steve, my ink pen is Maxwell, and my Kindle is Toby. If you like any of those, you're more than welcome to use one. =)

    Love your pictures, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post! :D I didnt have a camera until like, I was about 14..and then i got one that someone gave to me because their husband dropped it into a cup of coffee :P It was not a very good camera..But I was happy with it x) It didnt fit more than 10 pictures :P after that one of my best friends gave me his camera that he didnt use anymore..Its about 5 Mega Pixels and I love it XD Cant wait till I can get a nice one though..Someday..:P So happy for you that you got your camera though!! :D :D

    elisa45.blogspot.com
    ~Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. So excited for you! I love my camera (even though it's only a point and shoot) so much! I named it Tina.

    Name suggestions? I'm going to say that you should name it something that has to do with Downtown Abbey :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweet post! You are your sister are so beautiful! A name for your camera?? Hmm... I would go with Rigaud (Reego) like Jess suggested. That would be amazing.

    xx, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really are a great photographer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the photos. Looks like you really have a passion for photography.I got my Nikon D5000 last year and haven't had much time to play around with the settings. youtube really helps with basic photography tutorials. Have you started using photo editors already? =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am hopelessly obsessed with this delicious thing of a post.
    I guess because it's gushing with sheer happiness
    and that always makes me, well, happy.
    Good for you, Jenn!
    Do you like to read? Perhaps name it after
    your favorite (or least favorite) book character.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahhh these photos are so pretty! and yay on new cameras! snapping photographs with a straight-out-of-the-box camera is the best feeling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eep, a Canon T3i! It's like Perry's big brother. :) And name suggestions...hm. How about Bingley or Laurie or Fritz? Alright, all my suggestions come from books. ;)

    Congrats on already photographing a wedding! That is awesome! You are awesome. Enough said. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your photos are so gorgeous!!! I am hoping to get something from the Canon Rebel series for my first "real" camera (as opposed to my old point and shoot).

    ReplyDelete
  25. ohmygoodness seriously?? you got to shoot a wedding? right off the bat?! ::jealously + amazement at your bravery ensues::

    haha...WOW! congrats, much, Jenn! New cameras = awesomeness. i know this because i've officially had my nikon for two months, and it still is a grand feeling. can't wait to see what you do with your newfound friend! yesss!

    ps~ you and your sister (right?? haha) are so gorggg. like seriously. AND i love love love your curly hair. thanks for the comment, btw..:)

    -lucia

    ReplyDelete
  26. EXCITING!!! I'm still saving up for a Canon Rebel T2i..(I've never owned a DSLR either.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Jenn, just thought I'd stop by and say I really like the header on your blog. I think the black and white with dark blue is quite the stunning combination. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. those are GORGEOUS! rather the subjects are gorgeous :) I'm so excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. you won item no. 1 in my giveaway!

    http://dramaticelegance.blogspot.com/2012/01/beginnings-seventh-giveaway.html

    can you send me your address, pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my! I have been following your blog but haven't been on it for awhile and I just now realized WHO YOU ARE!!
    My Dad, two of my sisters and I came to see the Emma play!! (By the way, you and your sister are awesome actors..everyone else in it was too!) And we actually talked to your family for awhile before it started!!! :-) :-)

    And also, the pics above are lovely. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.