Friday, May 11, 2012

me: outtakes


So here's the thing.  The thing that has more or less been slapping me in the face for a rather small but nonetheless significant amount of time.


I'm sarcastic.

Let me back up.  Have you ever taken one of those tell-all personality tests?  I'm an ESFP.  Extroverted.  Sensing.  Feeling.  Perceiving.  And while the picture those four letters paint of me can be a bit extreme, in most cases, it's pretty accurate.

In a nutshell?  ESFPs love people.  check.  They're engaging and outgoing.  check.  They have lots of friends and are good at making them.  check.  They love to entertain people/make them happy/make them laugh/be funny/be liked.  Uhmm...check.



See (and I'm going to have a minor brag honesty moment), I'm funny.  And I love that I'm funny.  And I love that I can make people laugh, that I'm witty, am quick with words and comebacks, and can generally entertain people.  That's why I love acting, I think.

But.  Downfalls of ESFPs: they live for the moment.  They like to be the center of attention.  They care a little too much about other people liking them.  And while I'm not an extreme attention hog (I hope), it's true.  I really like people to think I'm funny, sometimes to a degree where I'll take my humor a bit too far.


Now back to this part: I'm sarcastic.

In all honesty, sarcasm is like my sixth love language.  It's what I do with my friends.  Generally, people know me well enough, and it's okay.  But every once in awhile, I lose sight of the fact that not everyone has the same sense of humor as me.  I get caught up in the moment (I'm cringing...that's not a fun thing to admit) and forget to be sensitive.  Not that I just go and make jokes at the expense of others', but...if you can't read me well enough, that's what it can come across as.


I have had several instances recently where this has been pointed out to me, and since then there have been several instances where I've really and truly focused on toning down my sarcasm.  Not eliminating my sense of humor, because that would be like...killing a part of myself (ha. but no really.).  But just making sure it's genuinely funny and doesn't have the potential to tear someone down.  Sincere instead of sarcastic.  And you know what?  I have had some of the nicest conversations because of that.

So yeah.  There's a little outtake from the growing personality and person that is me.  It's a process, but I'm learning more everyday.


ps--so I have this friend Megan, who you may recognize from here and here (she was Harriet in the Emma play).  She's the sweetest thing, but you know what I love?  she gets my sarcasm.  she just gets my humor, period.  and that's something I really appreciate from time to time when I need to take it out on someone (kidding, kidding).  anyway, she's now blogging over at Bucket List Worthy (ohh, bucket lists--you know a favorite topic of mine)!  she's just starting out, but maybe you'd go give her a follow and some comment love?  you can tell her I sent ya.  ;)
pps--all photos in this post done my marvelous direction-taking brother Grant.  love you, kid.

31 comments:

  1. Love this post! Sarcasm is, um . . . definitely something I've used. Often. And I love making people laugh (but I am NOT extroverted)

    p.s. Isn't it lovely to have friends who actually understand your sense of humor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, our personality types are exactly opposite! I'm INTJ :)
    I love these pictures - you + the light are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Word. Are you sure you aren't describing me? Because I think you might be.

    *highfive from a fellow sarcastic people-lover*

    xoxo,
    --Abi

    P.S. Oh, those pictures are incredible. Your brother has some serious talent. And that wasn't sarcasm :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures and the post. You are so beautiful- inside and out! I like what you wrote! So true!! you always inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are STUNNING!! and I love your hair.. sooo want it!! :P the lighting in all these is just amaaaazing, and the post itself too!! all in all, I LOVE everything!!

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really not safe to sit in the middle of the road. (that was sarcastic. Slightly.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. first off, you. are. gorgeous. second, me and you? we are going to get along so well. we can kill each other with our sarcasm. third, we sound so similar. crazy-scary. fourth, I just love you. the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. ooh my word yes. I can't wait to kill each other with sarcasm, then. love you too, girl.

      Delete
  8. <3 i love these pictures. I see why the editing took so long. love you dearly my fellow sarcastic frand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so basically you're really incredibly beautiful. and I'm insanely jealous of your hair. and I'm totally with you on the whole sarcasm thing. those moments when people don't know you're being sarcastic are REALLY AWKWARD and just..yeah. happens to me all the time. (and that's not sarcasm, by the way, hah!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. these pictures are GORGEOUS! & i think we have the same personality.. except that I can't get up on a stage in front of people, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Gosh. I love sarcasm. There are definitely moments when I need to tone it down or have people give me weird looks because I'm SO sarcastic. And some people just don't get my humor (*coughmydadcough*). And then there are the times when you're sarcastic and people don't get it and there's a long stretch of awkward silence. Yeah. :P

    Anyhow. Your photos are lovely. :)

    --Lia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post!
    Great pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love all these pictures! You're so pretty! I just ran across your blog, and just reading this post makes me love it already. Oh, and I love your photography. Awesomeness. :-)

    Lizzy
    www.lizziebutterfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I totally know how you feel about the whole being-sarcastic-and-funny-all-the-time thing. I've been working to tone it down too, lately. Just know that you're not the only one.

    And girl, you are GORGEOUS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahah those are a lotta pictures of you, kid. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cuz I knew you missed my face and wanted to see them, duh. ;)

      Delete
  16. You are beautiful! Lovely post, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh ESFPs, you took the Meyer Briggs test ;) Another thing about ESFP's, they love to talk. I know one who can take longer than fifteen minutes to answer a simple question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yessss, this is true. I do love to talk. hah!

      Delete
  18. LOVE this!! These pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. You are amazingly beautiful! Lovely lighting and looove your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Um, can I meet you? Please? And btw, I LOVE YOUR HAIR!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're GORGEOUS!!! New follower right here(: Care to check out my blog?! <3

    sprinklesofmylife1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are beautiful. And I love that you are willing to share that with us on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE this post :) #1. I totally get it about the whole sarcasm... :/ Umm... I can sometimes go too far, too ;) But, thankfully all my family totally gets me- plus, they're the same way! But I have to remember to be careful around other people!!
    #2. The photos are gorgeous! I wish I had as many good pictures of me, as you do of you!! Haha, you're gorgeous ♥

    xoxo
    Jordan♥

    P.s.
    you have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. love the first black and white one--stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. gorgeous. your hair is to die for. the first shot is my favorite of all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful pictures of yourself! And at least you're able to catch that you're going overboard and tone it down but still keep a sense of humour. Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am sarcastic quite a bit too+yeah my friends do get it/know me well enough...but you do have to be careful w/ it :)
    lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.