Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Warrior

Confession: I don't cry during movies.  I cry for books--good books, that is--if they're legitimately worth it.  Here's the thing though--I like crying during a good book.  There's part of me that just loves the feeling of reading something grand and powerful enough to make me emotional.

Anyway.

Sadly, most movies do not have the capability of drawing me in like that and getting me totally lost in an storyline deep and strong enough for emotion.  They don't make 'em like that.  It's a pity and a shame.

But.
BUT.

Every once in awhile a gem comes along--something powerful and original and moving and suprising and deep and stirring of the very chords of your heart in a way you could never have expected.

That movie--one of the few--is Warrior.


I'm not going to say much about it because it wouldn't be as good that way, but the premise is set in mixed martial arts.  Basically, if you don't know any better, intense boxing.  Which I detest as a so-called sport, but for the sake of this movie, it was so, so impacting.

The real plot could just as well be curling though (okay, not really)--it's the character depth that was incredible moving.  Two men, estranged from each other and the ideal of how their lives should be--coming back to the thing they were raised during a painful childhood to know best--fighting in the ring.


What I love about Warrior is that it's so much more than the fight for the crowd, though.  It's fighting for a future, fighting past the past.  Fighting against hate and yet because of hate, but for love at the same time.  Fighting bitter bottled-up memories and abandonment, fighting for forgiveness and redemption without knowing how or why.  Fighting lies that have been told and lies that have been lived.  Fighting that aching feeling inside that what was can never be again, and yet what is now does not have to be.  Fighting.  Fighting for a brother.


I cried.  Listen to this song that plays during the most intensely heart-wrenching scene in the movie, and tell me how I couldn't have cried.  It was painful and yet...beautiful.


Basically, this is a movie worth your time.  It will touch you in a powerful way.  And there's not many movies left that will really do that to you.  Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton are brilliant in it, and it's relatable and so incredibly, achingly, deeply real.

Have you seen it?  If not, you should.  Amen.  What's a movie that's powerfully emotional for you?

14 comments:

  1. Yah...definitely going to have to watch this now. It looks so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm going to watch it. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the hunks on that last poster. (JK.) It looks really good, and I love "fighting" movies.

    Seriously, I never cry at movies, either... but I've seen Courageous three times. And every time, I sob. (He should have danced with her!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahaha, that definitely made me laugh, Jessica. ;) ooh, I still haven't seen Courageous--sounds like I need to, hmm?

      Delete
  3. OH. MY. WORD. Seriously, this is my new favorite movie. I watched it with Andrew and Dad a few weeks ago and just cried on Dad's shoulder at the end. It was SO. PERFECT. I proceeded to watch it three more times that week, and cried two out of three times. And honestly, I don't cry over movies that much either, unless it REALLY strikes a cord with me (and possibly if it's really late at night and I'm tired...) There is something so special about a movie that makes you die a little inside, but makes you feel like you grew back made of better stuff. Gaahhhhh we must talk about this soon! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you're a book-crier too?! Everyone thinks I'm so weird because I can cry buckets during a powerful book but not shed a single tear during a movie. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, okay, okay, I now need to watch this movie badly. Ever since Warhorse, I've been wanting to watch another good (cry-at-the-end) movie, and this seems to be my ticket.
    PS post about NYC soon please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will now go put myself on hold for this movie. ;)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll look out for this movie, thanks for the tip.

    The movie I have cried the most at was the Notebook. I know it seems pathetic but I think it's because alzheimer's runs in my husband's family and I got all hysterical thinking about if he got it. I can't watch it if I'm feeling fragile even though I have it on DVD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you and me are the only ones who have seen it :). All comments were they need to see it. I'm suprised this movie isn't more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might have to look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I just finished watching this movie on Netflix, and I gotta say it's....totally worth watching. A very incredible movie.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.