Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fueling your inner hermit - guestpost by Olivia

While Jenn and Jess are bashing around London, I'm enjoying the summer days from my backyard.  I've often thought of myself as a hermit, opting for the comforts of home instead of traveling around.  While I am venturing out more now (I'm going to Texas by myself in July - that's a big deal for me), I still consider myself to be a hermit.  Until I get my license, I'm dependent upon my parents to take me places.  So, for those days when your mom doesn't want to leave, or your dad is too busy, here are my tips for fueling your inner hermit.


GRAB A STACK OF BOOKS + READ
Find all those books you've been wanting to read, curl up in your favorite place, and read for a few hours.  Some books on my list for the summer include Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

TAKE PHOTOS OF PRETTY THINGS AROUND THE HOUSE
This is pretty simple.  Take photos of things you've never photographed before.  Capture your house and its memories to the best of your ability.  (If you're into that sort of thing.)

MAKE GOOD FOOD
Alternate title:  Make good food and eat it all.  My dish of choice often includes sugar, but make whatever you want.   

RELAX
I love to grab a blanket, run outside, and lay under a shade tree.  I'll read, write, sleep, listen to music.  There are endless possibilities.  Take a nap on the couch.  Watch your favorite movie.  

SPEND TIME OUTSIDE
Here are a few things I like to do: soak up the sun, sing really loud, run around the house with no shoes, have a campfire, explore the woods, roller blade, play soccer.
So go and try some of these things out, and maybe you'll start to call yourself a hermit too!
  _______________________________________________________________
Hey there, I'm Olivia!  I like to call myself a hunter of beauty.  A photographer, writer, reader, artist, and Christian - that's who I am. I love early mornings, summer days, meadows during golden hour, sleepovers with great friends, and late nights with my sisters.  But, really, I just love to live life.  I blog over at Rise and Fly.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I loved tfios! This was great ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. =) I'm a hermit too, and these are some of my favorite things to do whilst bashing around the house in my mismatched socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you rock. the end. bashing around london...man alive it's gonna be good. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a creative blog post idea! Loved this! When I read the beginning where you said that Jenn and Jess are bashing around London I immediately thought of Little Women when Laurie said that. Haha were you thinking of that when you wrote it? Anyways, I really enjoyed reading this. I just might go do some of the things you mentioned today.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, this is great, Olivia! hehe. I'm a total hermit too, seriously. :) Some of the things you suggested I do too.
    It's weird because when I was looking at my blog list I saw the picture of the books, but I didn't know whose blog it was yet, and I instantly thought it was your blog! But then, I saw it wasn't and clicked on it and I saw that you had just guest posted on here! Ha, I know your photography too well!

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some great books you've got there! I've only read one in the stack..."Don't Waste Your Life". But I've heard great things about many of the others. Beautiful pictures!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was the best. i'm gonna take up some of your advice. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words, photos, thoughts. Hermits rule! That is all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for these ideas, Olivia! Go hermits and non-licensed people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent stack of books there. I can't say I would recommend "The Crucible," though. Boring and bloody book, that. However, the rest are excellent. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. not gonna lie, all that super crazy travelling was wonderful, but I'm going to be glad to get some hermit time here soon now. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.