Tuesday, July 17, 2012

the guy I picked up in France


This is the Gare (train station) in Strasbourg.  I have a story to tell you about this place.  Hahaha.  It was my longest legit French conversation, and it was...very memorable.  Okay.  So 
Mommy and Grant went into the Gare to find a bathroom, and I sat outside on the grass to wait for them.  This guy came up to me and said something in French that I didn't understand.  I said, "Je ne parle pas francais" ("I don't speak French"),  so he asked me what I spoke and I said English, and then he asked where I was from and I said, "les États-Unis" ("the United States")--but this all in French.  He told me he was Algerian and how exciting it was that he was Algerian and I was American and hey they both start with the same letter!  Okay...?  But then his next question: "Do you smoke marijuana?"  Ohhh great.  Me: "Uh, non."  No I don't.

But no matter, he sat on the grass next to me and chatted me for a little while about marijuana and this other drug he was incredulous I didn't know, and I had to say "je ne comprend pas" and "repetez, s'il vous plait" ("I don't understand" and "repeat that, please") a couple times, and he asked me why I was here and if I knew Strasbourg at all and if I drank and if it was difficult for me to understand people here, and I got to say I was visiting a friend who was a professor, here with my brother and my mom who spoke French, and basically answer all this in French, in my very limited way.  I didn't feel uncomfortable or anything because there were lots of people around the Gare, but it was...weird.  So weird, I tell you.  I mean, I guess I look like the type of girl who you'd go up to and ask about marijuana...not sure how I feel about that.  Finally I got a chance and said, "k thanks bye" and left to find my family.  But!  The cool thing is that, as odd of an experience as it was, I actually got to speak French.  So yeah.  That was exciting.

I've been really busy since being back--last week I took off again to go on the Summer Justice Ride to do pro-life outreach, similar to the one I did on spring break, but instead of on campuses, this was all in different cities.  Downtown on the street, baby.  It was another stretching, difficult, fulfilling, eye-opening, humbling, incredible experience.  And now?  It's just really good to be home.  I love sleeping in my own bed.

20 comments:

  1. I've heard this story THREE times now, and it literally makes me giggle every time. Love you, glad you're home (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I'm sorry, but this story just makes me laugh. It's so hilarious. :D Glad you enjoyed France! I hope to go there someday too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just hilarious, Jenn. So weird. But France seems lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I really laughed at this. :D I always journal all of my strange conversations with random people (which aren't as strange as this) just so I can remember and have a good laugh later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. only you, jenn, only you.
    hehe I'm kidding :) this made me smile so hard. I'm so glad you're home again--it feels good to back in your own bed, no?
    xo.
    da soul sistahh

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Do you smoke marijuana?"

    Oh my word. That's awesome. People sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean, every time I look at you I think "Oh, there goes Jenn and her weed again!"

    Ha! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! That's so weird! I had my fair share of conversations with Italian wackos while I was on vacation, and the good thing is that it always makes for an interesting story :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow... I'm sorry, but that's just too hilarious. So glad you got to have that... experience. lol

    Also, I wish I could've gone on that pro-life outreach with you. I love that kind of stuff. Hope you had a good time!

    xo, Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so hilarious! haha. {and, no, you don't look like the kind of person who would be interested in that conversation. just sayin'. of course the conversation is awesome! that you were talking in French... *swoons* yup. ;)}

    Funny, funny. :) France seems lovely, though. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, gotta love this story. you should've said: "Vous méchant homme! D'ailleurs, je ne fume du cannabis." ha.
    does that even make sense in french? oh, the poor guy. he was probably so disappointed. don't worry, I get 45 year old guys asking me if 'I'm going clubbing tonight'. but, if they asked me in french, I'm pretty sure I would be a lot nicer to them. french seems to make everything seem a lot nicer, huh? so, did you die on your pro-life tour? lol, no pun intended. ok. I need to email you soon. and I have some more pics to send you. and now I'm off to bed. cheerio, poppet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bahahaaa! Too, too funny!! But somehow, the fact that it was in French just makes the whole conversation ten times better!
    (also, i was writing this comment, and then all of a sudden it disappeared, soo, if i accidentally commented twice, my apologies! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is hilarious! I am not sure what I would do if some guy came up to me and started asking me about marijuana, I would act awkward most likely.

    Rachel Keeth // Lavender & Honey

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a weird story! Congrats for being able to speak a french conversation though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post made me laugh and smile. I've had a handful of French conversations in the past, but never one quite as memorable as yours! You'll remember that forever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! That is so funny! I have never been to France, but would love to one day! Your blog is SUPER cute! I am officially following! <3 <3
    ~Jonnah M.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, the things that people say! But still cool that you got to speak french. My siblings and I have been learning some Italian, not that we will ever get to go to Italy. But we do have a friend who grew up in Italy, so we get to talk to her in Italian, which is really cool. It's a lot of fun to talk in different languages.

    Laurel
    laurelscrazylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness. That is too funny! It's so cool that you were able to converse in French! As a French student, I can understand how tough that can be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You go girl! A whole conversation in French is quite a feat.

    Oh, and if it makes you feel any better you do not look like the kinda person who smokes marijuana ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.