Saturday, August 11, 2012

a reminder...

the following is an excerpt from my journal, written after having been in Strasbourg for a week, inspired to great thoughtfulness by some quote about how to relieve life's tedium.  gee, I need to get back to writing.



Is life really tedious?  Sometimes yes; sometimes definitely yes.  But a lot of times, it is far from it.  Maybe it is stressful, maybe hectic, maybe crazy busy.  Maybe peaceful, maybe contented, maybe full, maybe satisfying.  Maybe full of routine, maybe full of surprises.  But far from monotonous.

I feel like "surprising" is a good word to describe life.  It's never quite how you expect it to be, yet sometimes it sneaks up and is exactly how you want it to be.  Sometimes it meets your expectations, sometimes it defies them.  Sometimes it disappoints them, and sometimes it exceeds them.  But that's just the mystery and adventure, isn't it?  That no matter what, it's sure to take you by surprise.

"Extraordinary" is also a good word to use to describe life--yes, in its very literal sense.  More than ordinary.

I'm sitting on a bench by the canal here in Strasbourg.  Mommy and Lori are talking--she just got back from Paris this afternoon--and we're eating strawberries and listening to the water and chats in French from nearby people.  Life right now is...definitely not tedious.  It's pretty sweet.


helloooo, take me back there.  I'm having a lesson in contentment in life recently, because life really is sweet.  sometimes I'm my own best reminder.
ps--guest posting here and here recently.

14 comments:

  1. your writing is amazing. and those pictures are also pretty amazing, so beautiful there! what an adventure you must have had there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, your writing is fabulous...and it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing. I love thinking of life as a "surprise".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that this living-by-moments philosophy is especially true of summertime, and I think you did a wonderful job of describing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing is beautiful, Jenn! So vibrant, and descriptive. And those pictures--WOW. Just beautiful! :) Next time you go there, I am going with you, okay? :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for your beautiful guest post, Jenn. you rock. =) and your writing and captures are fabulous. )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oi, your writing is fab. Write a book, so I can buy it and have it on my bookshelf. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. write a book? wow, you flatter me. (:

      Delete
  8. How beautiful. Makes me want to choose Strasbourg for my study abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog through a comment on Fernweh, and after just reading a few posts I have to agree with Jessica, you should absolutely write a book. Your writing is simply beautiful.

    Also, your photography is lovely. I'm very glad that I found your blog!
    -Hannah V.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... sometimes, Jenn, your writing takes my breath away. No joke. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *sighs* I just love the picture, Jennoelle. I'm getting discontent just looking at them. And yes, and I'll have to agree with the ladies above...you should write a book- and when its published, send me an autographed copy.;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. STOP IT! You're making me so dreadfully jealous. I do so want to go to Europe now. Those photos are BEAUTIFUL. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post Jennoelle! I totally agree, life is sweet! And beautiful photographs! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.