Monday, September 3, 2012

back in Montreal

I can think of...let's see.  Oh, just a handful of people that I actually would/could/do get sappy about.  (Oh man, you should see me in my sappy moments.  Actually on second thought no you shouldn't.)  Anyway.  The first and foremost is my one and only true love/other half...guys chill out, I have no love life.  Geez.  No.  My sister.  Cassie.  I'm convinced I can't ever get married till I find someone that completes me like she does.  (Cue aww-ing.  But no really.)

Moving on.


Back in the middle of August Cassie turned nineteen. It had officially been more than two months since we'd seen each other (and it's approaching three months here in a couple days...).  So what did I do?  I hopped in a car with my mom to drive up and surprise her for her birthday.  Okay so it wasn't just hopping in a car--we had to talk to a bunch of French speaking people first to work it out.  And let's face it, one doesn't take that long of a drive lightly.  Thirteen hours, hoo boy.

So we got there the night of her birthday, when a bunch of her friends up there were planning a surprise party.  And we were the extra surprise.  I admit, Cassie had kinda a clue, but only because she rudely HACKED MY FACEBOOK and saw a message I sent.  Rude.  Sisters, who needs 'em.  But she didn't know when or why or how or what, so it was still fantastic.  Yeah we both cried.  I warned you that I was a sap in some instances.


I got to meet all of her lovely friends that I heard so much about.  And then said friends reminded me that they'd also heard loads about me.  Oh that's a frightening thought.


One of said friends got Cassie off work for the few days we were there, so we had a full glorious three days to wander about Montreal.  It's such a great city, and Cassie was so proud of it showing us around.  Adorable.  We did exciting things like shopping and eating.  And I finally bought a pair of colored skinnies (dark turquoise, baby), and we visited Old Montreal where I had been last year, and we climbed Mont Royal to see a view of the city.


Funny story.  On Mont Royal, Cassie basically forced me to take pictures of her.  You know, it's really rough for her not having me around to supply her with new facebook profile pictures.  I always was her little photographer minion--it's probably the only reason she keeps me around.  So on top of Mont Royal, we proceeded to be very loud and jovial in our photo-snapping.  We were getting interesting glares from people.  Also, apparently I have a loud laugh.  Oops.


Also!  We saw Wicked!  Again.  I saw it for the first time...oh, probably a year and a half ago now.  It's one of my favorite shows for sure.  So good.  So good.  I sing the music alllll de time.  So this time around, there were screens by the side of the stage translating all the dialogue into French (because Montreal is perfectly bilingual folks--it's crazy), and we actually got amaaaazing seats (rather than the nosebleed seats I sat in last time I saw it) because we got cheap tickets right before the show!  Man alive I think I was smiling the whole show.

The same night we saw Wicked it was settled that Clara would come home with us for two weeks, so she spent some time with us in Montreal too.  (And we all watched A Knight's Tale together.  Which apparently I didn't realize, but from the comments on my previous post, it seems very popular.  Well...I loved it.)


Then thirteen hours back we went.  You know something?  At customs on the border between Canada and the United States?  Those guard people make me nervous.  They're always so nice, but it's like they hold my life in their hands for about two minutes, and it freaks me out.  Anyway.

Clara left today.  I drove her to the airport.  I honestly wasn't expecting to be so sad about seeing her go.  We have had grand times.  Times I need to tell you all about, though I realize I've been rather absent/distant from the blogging world for awhile.  There's been a lot of things going on, in both my life and my head.  Labor Day Camp ended today (so depressed) and it was a weekend to remember.  Maybe I'll tell you some about that too, but right now it's too fresh and raw in my mind and heart to repeat anything close to coherent.


SO ANYHOO.  Basically life is weird and insane and crazy and great and interesting and funny and unusual and happy and sad and odd.  Am I right or am I right?

24 comments:

  1. I see your first picture and I'm already dead. these are really just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIFE IS WEIRD.
    AND CRAZY, oh yes.

    You are gorgeous, and lovely. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh, Jenn. every post reminds me why I love you and your lovely lil' old blog!

    you are so, so right.... email me back and I'll tell you why... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha--"apparently I have a loud laugh". That cracked me up :D

    Yes, life is all of those things. But that's what makes life so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Jenn!! You and your sister are so beautiful. I love that you were able to surprise your sister and that you both cried. It's just so so very sweet.

    And haha! I have a loud laugh too. And...what you said about life. yep.. so true.

    Blessings!

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
  6. you two are SO. DANG. GORGEOUS. my gosh. that's the end of my little story. skype soon. yes. yes. yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're all so cute! Glad you had an awesome time... even though Montreal is one of my least favourite cites (don't ask). :)

    eve @ essence of eve

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWWWWWW. I have three things to say upon viewing this:
    1. Not creepy at all, but you guys have perfect teeth. okay? okay.
    2. I miss Montreal and border dudes freak me out a little too and my sisters and I always make fun of them after we get through. We so kind.
    3. I can't wait to get your letter. the end.
    xo
    soul sistahs (*cues theme song from that 90's show Sister, Sister. seriously. look it up.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Montreal. It's such a fun & diverse city! :) LOVEE your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the pictures! and how you talked about being do close to your sister, i'm the same way with my sister:) all those things you said about life = so true. haha and the part about how you are your sister's photography minion, made me laugh! ha, i'm sure my sister will miss me while she is at college for the same reason!:P

    ReplyDelete
  11. may i just say that you are one of my favorite bloggers? you go wonderful places, do wonderful things, take wonderful photos, and write wonderful & whimsical stories. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your sister are both GORGEOUS. Such beautiful girls.

    And don't you just love Quebec?! I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right. :P Anyways, welcome to Canada! ;) I think I knew you were coming...I've never been to Montreal myself (I'm an Ontario gal) but it's still pretty cool that you were here. ;) Looks like you had a blast.

    and yes, you're both absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow. beautiful overload. you guys are all crazy photogenic. also, i knew you would love a knight's tale ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, love these pictures! great job, jenn. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post makes me happy. I love you. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures!! It looked like she was very happy to see you! :)

    P.S. Would you follow me? Thanks and I'm not forsing you to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like so much fun!! I bet you guys were having the time of your lives!! The photos are gorgeous and I love the black and white ones!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I am pretty sure that it would be weird for me to comment on how much prettiness there is in this post....so I'm not gonna. I'll leave the girly stuff to you...well, girls. BUT I can totally say that this made me smile muchly. ;) Miss you, Cassie!! But yeah, keep on keeping on, if you know what I mean. Which you probably don't. Yeeeeaaaahh. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, so sweet! I’m glad you got to see your sister again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Also, go ahead and delete this after you read it, but I wanted to point out that over on the side of your blog where you have your favorite blogs, you have (Life is too short not to) wear read shoes. {Instead of red shoes} Um yeah, probably nit-picky, but I just thought I’d point it out. =)
    Anyway, yeah, I think you’ve heard how much I think of your blog. It’s like one of the bestest ever… So I don’t feel too bad telling you about one little tiny mistake. ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete
  22. So awesome that you got to "surprise" Cassie on her birthday! Love all these pictures...especially the ones of you three ladies. You guys are all so gorgeous. Looks like an absolutely fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sort of in love with this post. And it's totally not fair you're getting to travel the world and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.