Tuesday, October 30, 2012

the legends.

The Legends of Sleepy Hollow, to be precise.


Featuring some wonderfully crappy cell phone pictures and photos snagged right before evil glares given for blinding people with my flash.

We performed this weekend.  It was great.  Really great.  Unlike the previous shows I've done with my dear little community theatre, Sleepy Hollow was in the big theatre in town.  Ohh boy.  See, the little place we've performed before seats no more than...oh, 70ish people, if we're lucky.  The Memorial, where we are now, seats one thousand.  So that's super exciting and cool to have mics and more room and a legitimate backstage instead of...you know, a closet.


The play is a mash-up of the stories of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, and I think I've said this before, but it's quite hilarious, if I do say so myself.  Not as creepy as most takes on it, definitely with a humorous side.  I played Marta, a village girl, and I had all of two lines plus some singing and dancing, but as different as it was to be part of a 60-some-person cast with a tiny role, there were so many great times had.  I made some fabulous friends/memories/inside jokes, and though it's a different kind of family than a 12-person cast, it's still my Sleepy Hollow family nonetheless.


Also, can I just say...it's so weird that it's over!  WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY LIFE.  I've never performed over just one weekend before, and it all went so quickly.  Craziness.  It was a good weekend.

I freakin' adore this child.

On Friday, opening night, a good number of my friends showed up, which was just lovely of them even if some were super late (ahem), and my dear friend Mindy brought me flowers, and we all went out to Tim Horton's afterward.  I get this thing I like to call a theatre high--yeah, I was pretty happy/hyper.  Such a good night.


On Saturday I slept in, then my friend Rebekah got me free coffee, and then I headed out for our two performances that day.  I'd never done a matinee before, but it was actually quite fun hanging out with everyone all day.  We adventured to Wendy's for dinner (the men still in their stage make-up, much to the ladies' amusement) and back again, and really all three performances went off without a hitch!


After striking at the end of the last show (we had to transport everything from the big theatre back to the little one), all the young people in the cast left, but I wasn't ready to go home, so I went to Ruby Tuesdays (kind of an after-show tradition) with my director and her husband and our tech guy and our two leads and it was really really nice.  I got to talk more with Tony, our lead as Ichabod Crane (and seriously such a hilarious and wonderful and talented guy), who started acting in his teens as well and has done community theatre ever since, and it was really encouraging because he's still heavily involved with theatre even with being married and having a baby, and ahhh that's just what I want to do with the rest of my life!  (Best run-on sentence award?)

Tony signing the leads' door

Anyway, Sleepy Hollow is a wrap.  I have another poster full of signatures hanging in my room and a bucketload of memories.  Ready for the next show already.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely fabulous. I'm jealous. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHHH!! looked amazing!! wish I could've been there to scream like a fangirl when you got on stage...bahahaha. oh, the things I could've done to embarrass you, if only I'd been there ;) also, I want your scarf and cardi. kthanksbye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awh, how awesome! looks like a ton of fun!
    (love your scarf, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey. so, you're amazing.
    I've loved following this story as it's progressed, and I'm glad to hear that it went off so well.
    xo
    the soul sister

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was pretty amazing. i'm glad to hear everything went well! also, you look totes adorable in costume. xo

    p.s. that scarf. i like it. can i haz?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an absolute blast. Yes. I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fuun!! I love theater! And you look gorgeous! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's official. I need to be in a play now. Gah, that looks so fun! I'm glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We didn't "all go out to Tim Horton's afterward," thanks. Also the free coffee is a secret. Other than thaaaat....Good post. Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been in theatre, but oh my does it sound fabulous. That theatre is so elegant and darling! And the costumes, and the hair - love it. What a lovely time you had. I seriously wish I lived closer so I could come and see you perform. :D

    -larkin

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you had an amazing time, it sounds like it would be so much fun! I always enjoyed putting on plays when I was little but have only actually been in one play. Since then though I have wanted to do more acting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok wow. I was sitting in the audience for this performance. I go to church with Josh Koehler, and brought my siblings to see this play. The play was excellent!

    Kinda weird to see this in my blog reader, I've been following your blog for a while but had no idea that you were from near me. I kinda get used to thinking that all the bloggers I read are from far far away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey I CAME, and I didn't try to be late, and I was disappointed I was. no need to make me feel worse by shouting it to the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful thing to be in a stage performance! Looks like you had a great time!

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.