Monday, December 31, 2012

twenty-twelve: a recap and recollection


Looking back on the year 2012 is almost overwhelming. I can hardly believe that at the beginning of this year, I was still rehearsing for Emma.  That seems so long ago.  Twenty-twelve has been so incredibly full.  I have checked so many items off my bucket list.

I performed in Emma as the lead, which was basically a dream role for me.
I bought my first camera. Bert. I love him. And second-shot a wedding right afterwards.
I went to Florida for the first time. I got more involved in the pro-life movement and had so many life-changing experiences and interactions on my first Justice Ride. I became passionate about protecting the unborn.
I staffed my first TeenPact state class, where I made lasting friends and memories within a week, was stretched outside of myself, and was challenged by that position of leadership.
I shot my first senior portraits for multiple friends.
I went to NYC for a weekend, my first roadtrip with just me and a couple friends. I saw Newsies on Broadway, the real Broadway, the original cast.
I went to Europe. I went to Europe. I lived for a month in Europe, journaled every day, so much of which I stil have to blog. Lived, breathed, explored Strasbourg. Fell in love with Paris. Was awed by London. Saw Phantom of the Opera on the West End. Had my first blogger-friend-meet-up, and became friends with Jess for life.
I embarked on my second Justice Ride, was challenged again in ways I did not expect, and saw lives changed.
I made friends and lost them, and found out some about who my true ones are.
I roadtripped to Montreal to surprise Cassie for her birthday a few months after saying goodbye to her for longer than ever before.
I started and completed my first semester at the (huge) university, which was an adventure all on its own.
I went to Labor Day Camp and faced some of the most difficult experiences of my life, yet God taught me so much.
I performed in Sleepy Hollow and took a theatre class that both helped me grow a lot and made me realize that theatre is so my passion in life.
I turned eighteen, which is still rather crazy to me.
I brought back my sister for good and visited Philadelphia on the way back.

Tonight my family was gathered on the floor of my little sisters’ room and we decided to pray together, and I was suddenly marvelling at all the opportunities and experiences I have had this year.

I have travelled more than I ever have in my life, seen the most amazing places, met incredible people, had unparalleled experiences.  I have cried harder than I care to remember and yet laughed even more.  I have learned a lot about friendships. I’ve grown closer to people I never would have expected to.  I went without my sister and bestest friend throughout life for six months and learned a lot about myself in the process, but also realized how much I cherish her and the rest of my siblings.  God showed me a ton, which hurts in a way that is good.


I have lived so fully and I feel so blessed and grateful and humbled by the people in my life and the things I’ve been able to do. There have been really hard times, I'm not going to lie, but there have been an overwhelming amount of good times, wonderful times. Moments that I replay in my head and will remember forever.

These past few hours of 2012 have been spent quietly with my family. My grandma is here and we've played cards and are watching a movie, and I'm just reflecting on all I have to be grateful for. So, so much is coming up in 2013 and I'm praying for guidance with the many opportunities I have ahead. This year I really want to focus on praying. To pray without ceasing. To pray for my enemies. To keep up a constant dialogue with God, because after all, that is how you deepen a relationship, and I want that more than anything.

God is really good to me. Happy New Years, my friends. What has been your favorite moment or memory of twenty-twelve?

20 comments:

  1. HAPPY NEW YEAR MAH LIL JENN DE LA CREME!!!
    well, obviously, going to london was crazy-awesome...I have a feeling that I met someone in london...some weirdo. oh well. can't remember.
    gah, 2012 was so amazing. 2013 is gonna be super amazing. and sometimes I just can't believe how beautiful life is. and yet it's such an intense mix of both beautiful and horrible.
    anyway. I love you. and you're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures of you are so cute! I love your beret. And the fact that you get to frolic in a winter wonderland. :))

    Yes, our lives our made up of hard times and good times. But all of it is part of God's plan for our life, we live and as we go through all that life brings, we grow. It's so good to know that God holds us and our futures in His hands, isn't it? :)

    I loved reading this post. It seems that you've had a blessedly full year. I'm sure God has many great things in store for you in 2013. I'm excited to see what this year holds.

    Happy New Year, Jenn! I hope it's a wonderfully exciting and beautiful year full of growth in Christ, much joy, love, laughter, and exciting opportunities to do what you love.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, these kinds of posts just make me happy! Sounds like you had quite the amazing year, Jenn. I hope this next year is even better!
    ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Jenn!! It looks/sounds like you have grown a lot in 2012... such beautiful pictures, and i can tell you have grown over this year. i found your blog this year, and getting to 'know' you has been such a blessing to me. :)

    there are so many experiences that I couldn't even begin to name, that have impacted me over this year. One of the best is I got my first DSLR, and really began to explore the possibilities of a business. God is so good.

    Happy New Year, girl! I wish you a happy, joyful and prosperous "twenty-thirteen". :)

    :hug!::
    -Mikailah
    www.maid4him.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how New Years is always a reflective time, how it makes you realize who you've become over the past 12 months of time. Couldn't imagine life without you sis, gros bec! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your year was a blast. I hope 2013 is even better!
    I adore the shot of you twirling in the snow, by the way -- so sweet.

    Happy new year's, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are so cute. like seriously, just stopit already!
    this year has been so full for me too...I've traveled to more places than I ever have, made the trip up and down the east coast twice. I met new people, made best friends, and found room in my heart to embrace a new place as home.
    here's to twenty thirteen!
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are darling! i adore your beret too.
    happy 2013, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy 2013 Jenn! Beautiful photos and memories!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a great 2012 :) Your trips sound absolutely amazing!
    (Did I see on your Twitter that you're watching the BBC Robin Hood TV show? Cuz if you are, there needs to be some serious fangirling going on here - favorite.show.ever. :)
    -mal :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wowzers... it sounds like you had a crazy amazing 2012, jenn! i'm so happy to be getting to know you! and i promise i will reply to your email very soon! :) i shan't hold you in suspense for much longer!
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. JENN. oh my goodness. we are twins. ;) first, we both do teenpact. are you going to national convention this year?! WE COULD MEET! if not, we'll probably see each other at some TP event. ;) second, NYC. it's absolutely amazing!!! i saw some broadway shows and was officially inspired. one of my dreams? to be on broadway someday. yep. SQUEE! you should send me a video / vocal recording of you singing. :D

    xoxo~lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is awesome, Jenn. Crazy but I was sitting here thinking, "Hey, I remember that! ...and that...and that..." Ha!

    Here's to 2013 being the best of year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how adventure filled your year was! seriously. you're so cool.
    probably my favorite memory of 2012 was experiencing India and London and being able to travel for a whole month with my best friend. it was absolutely grand(:

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post--and I've missed talking to you! I loved your comment on Bethany's Les Mis post--my thoughts exactly. I can't wait to see your review if you ever post it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 2012 sounds like it was a great year for you! I hope 2013 will be just as amazing.
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is beautiful, and I love your mustard yellow beanie! I have actually been thinking a lot recently about trying out for a local performance of Pride and Prejudice. I most likely won't get a main part, but one can always hope! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your hat. And your blog. And your hair. And your writing. And your pictures (gahh.) And your snow (I'm a south Texas girl- not much of that around here. ;))

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOW THE HECK DID I MISS THIS CUTENESS. You are pretty much flawless, aaand yeah.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. i cant pick my favourite one!there are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.