Wednesday, February 20, 2013

j'aime ma famille

I'd like to say a few things about my family.  It is by no means perfect.  I'm not just saying that as a figure of speech or to make things sound nice and genuine and not braggy.  It isn't.  Not at all.  I wish I could say otherwise.  And I'm usually not the person to get all gushy about how "ahh omg my family is my liiiiife" (ahem).  But.  Recently I have come more and more and more and more to appreciate my siblings.

Like, my brother for example.  Grant is stuck in the middle of four girls.  And yeah he can be a lil stinker even at sixteen-almost-seventeen.  But that kid is a good kid.  He is talented and he is funny and he gets my sense of humor in a great way that a lot of people don't understand and when I finally take the time to sit down and talk with him and spend time with him and let him teach me ukulele and listen to him, I realize that I should do it more often.  Because I really super enjoy him and he's growing up into such a cool guy, and though I'm sometimes bad at showing it, I just really like my brother a lot.

And my little sisters.  I'm gone from the house a lot with school and my internship and social things, so a often I don't get to spend time with them.  But oh my word, they're like...people.  They're not just little children anymore.  And it's crazy and scary knowing that they look up to me as a role model.  Brooke turned twelve last Saturday and she is literally one of the nicest people I know.  She makes me food out of the blue just to show her love for me.  And Tess is going to be ten soon, and she is hilarious and has me in stitches whenever we're teasing each other, and mah lil baby got baptized last week.

And you all know all about Cassie so we can skip her.

Kidding.  Cassie will always be my best friend.  We have our rough times, but then we go out to ballets together and that makes up for it.  When I first got placed in my internship with the House of Representatives, I was a little bummed.  Because yeah, it'll be good experience, but it's definitely not my ultimate interest.  Cassie works in the House as a page, and I didn't realize until about a week or two ago how God really does work these things out amazingly.  Because interning twice a week where Cassie works lets me see her on days that I wouldn't otherwise on campus or with friends.  She moved out on me, you see, but I still see her almost if not every day, and I didn't realize how grateful I'd be for that.  Even if she sometimes has me crying in the office.  Awkward.

I really want to invest in my siblings more because I want them to be my bffs for life, and I'm so so grateful to have them as bffs even now.  Cassie and I have taken to occasionally taking the little girls out for coffee.  We play cards and get kind of loud and the little girls dance for us and we laugh a lot and Cass and I let them talk about their lives, because really they're just as busy as us, albeit in a different way.  And they're just really precious girls and I adore them.

So here are some shots from a wild night at Starbucks with my favorite girls in the world.


I love them. The end.

16 comments:

  1. DUTCH BLITZ! OHMYLANTA. That made my day! #BESTGAMEEVER. and this post is just generally sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious. All of my siblings have had birthdays recently, and it's crazy how fast they are growing up. I love this post...so sweet, Jenn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so sweet. :) I want to spend more time with my siblings because they're simply growing up so fast. Oh I love how you sit with your brother and talk and do things together. It's harder for me to do that with my brother who is a year younger than me because we don't have the same interests and we both have busy schedules. But I want to make a conscience effort to spend time with my siblings even doing things I'm not particularly interested in them just so I can invest in their lives. Also, like you I want to be best friends with my siblings.
    Loved this post a lot.
    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all are so beautiful!! I loved the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family obviously equals out to awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohmygoodness ohmygoodness OHMYGOODNESS! ya'll play Dutch Blitz?!?!?!?! Favorite game everrr! Just last week I taught my friends down here how to play and now this place has reached the utmost perfections of perfections. ah. how do ya'll know about it? my momma and dad said it's a mennonite game and we being (ex?) mennonites. former mennonites.( that sounds better.) we know about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my sister lived in Canada for 6 months with a mennonite family, and she learned it there and brought it back. it is seriously the best game ever though. SO fun. (:

      Delete
  8. ahhh this is the most cutest. i'm that girl who brags about her family all the time, so i get it. also, you are gorgeous. the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a sweet post :) I only have one older brother, but I know what you mean about loving your siblings so much - he and I are best friends :) Although I do kinda wish I had a sister sometimes too :( It seems like you have a lot of fun with your siblings!
    -mal

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty -- all of you. Your family must be extra blessed with beautiful genes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Family is such a blessing! Lovely pictures! As for Dutch Blitz, my college group at church plays it all of the time but it still really confuses me so I just watch. I guess it's something you have to get use to. It does look like fun,though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautifully written post, I can tell how much you love and appreciate your siblings, I think every one needs to work a little bit more on this, I know I definitely do!
    And your playing Dutch Blitz...I LOVE that game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenn dear, this is such a sweet tribute to your family. Your sisters are all lovely (can't get over how much you guys look alike) and your brother is a trooper to live with four sisters...either that or extremely spoiled and doted on by his sisters (what happened to my dear brothers :P). And Dutch Blitz is the best...a friend introduced it to us and it quickly became a family fav. Although we have to play with three decks to have enough for everyone...yeah, yeah...big family joys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the older I get the more I appreciate my siblings and family in general and realize just how good God was to give them to me and to make us perfect or each other.

      Delete
  14. My niece just turned twelve too and it's crazy how fast time flies! This is such a sweet post :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.