Monday, June 17, 2013

the unreality of reality

"But his heart was in constant, turbulent riot. The most
grotesque and fantastic conceits haunted him in his
bed at night.  A universe of ineffable gaudiness spun
itself out in his brain while the clock ticked on the
washstand and the moon soaked with wet light his tangled
clothes upon the floor.  Each night he added to the pattern
of his fancies until drowsiness closed down upon some
vivid scene with an oblivious embrace.  For awhile these
reveries provided an outlet for his imagination; they were a
satisfactory hint of the unreality of reality, a promise that the
rock of the world was founded securely on a fairy's wing."
F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
______________

After finishing The Great Gatsby in three days, these remain my favorite words.  I cannot describe what this book did to me, only that it made me feel.  The way Fitzgerald put his words together--beautifully, purposefully, meticulously--was unlike anything I've ever read before.  It was poignant and rich and soul-shattering, and oddly (but almost appropriately), not because of the story.  Rather, because of the emotions and the pictures it stirred inside me.  It felt like reading...art.

Though skeptical of the justice it can do this masterpiece, I do want to see the movie now.  I also just found out that there was a 1974 film made starring Robert Redford, so you can guess what I'm going to see as soon as possible.

ps--I guest posted over here the other day, if you'd care to take a look.

7 comments:

  1. I adore that book. My mother handed it to me the summer I turned fifteen and I lay out on my bed with the windows open and read it till there was nothing left to read. It's perfect imperfection-- and even though I doubt the movie's ability to capture the soul of the book, I'm willing to give it a go as well!

    On another note, I wanted you to know that when I came back to your blog for the first time in forever today (I'm a bad blogger/follower) I was blown away by your post about social media and your recent decisions involving it. You are an inspiration and encouragement, dear, even if you don't realize it. I admire you for putting God first in your heart, then having the guts to be accountable and share it with the world. You rock. ;)

    xxAnnaKate

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAATSBYYYYYYYY.
    i wasn't sure what to think of this book the first time i read it. but now i'm totally in love. it's writing perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is writing at its finest. I should probably try reading The Great Gatsby, though I'm often told that the plot isn't the best (but then, I prefer to judge for myself).

    PS. Your guest post is a true gem. So are you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just read the book last week! he writes so beautifully. oh, and just ordered the 1974 version on amazon! whoot whoot :D watch it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, so I have this book, and then I was told about how tragically it ends and I was like, nope. not gonna do it to myself. is it really worth it? so many peeps have said how amazing it is but not another tragic eeennnddinnng.
    ALSO HOW IS LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. imma email you. read it, woman.
      life stinks cuz you stole my brother. boo.

      Delete
  6. one: I like you.
    two: I like your posts.
    three: *screams* and I ADORE The Great Gatsby book!
    four: YOU WON MY GIVEAWAY!

    Check your email, k?

    Love you.

    Acacia xx

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.