Thursday, June 13, 2013

#tpnc2013

This is the post where I dump on you a million and one pictures and ramble about a week in the life.  Except that it was a week in the life at National Convention 2013, which means it was an exceptional week filled with over 700 other like-minded people worshiping together, playing frisbee as if their life depended on it, hanging out (especially around food), campaigning in mock elections, discussing and sharing in small groups and dorms, making new friends and bonding again with old ones, and mostly learning about our God (who, if you didn't know, is pretty incredible).


I had the incredible honor of working on the photography team with this lady.  If you don't know her, you should.  Tori Watson from Marvelous Things Photography is a photographer I've admired for quite some time, and it was lovely getting to meet her in real life.  You can see her official photos from the week here!


You wouldn't think they're just mock elections here.  People take these things seriously.  My dear friend Esther ran (and did an incredible job, I might add).  But there was lots of campaigning.  By which I mean, lots of free candy.


Did I mention that there's an epic ultimate frisbee tournament?  I'm pretty sure there is never a time at NC when someone isn't playing frisbee.  My team made it to the final four, which was unexpected and exciting!  And there was also volleyball and basketball and such.


Two of the best parts of the day are the beginning and the end.  Bonjour is a dedicated quiet time in the morning to really spend time in the Word (so good).  And Rendezvous (whoa they like French or something) is time at the end of the day to spend time with the people in your room wrapping up the day, getting to know each other, as well as sharing/praying/laughing/etc.  I co-led a room with one of the intern girls, Katelyn, and it was so sweet.  Dang, I love those girls.


(These are all the girl room leaders.  An incredible group of young women, I tell you.  So blessed to get to serve with them.)


Session happens three times a day, morning, afternoon, and evening.  There are powerful and challenging and funny and fantastic speakers, skits and announcements and stories and all kinds of good stuff.


If I could be one fifth of the actor this guy is, I would be happy.  His part of the lip-syncing battle = easily one of my favorite parts of NC.


Yay small groups.  It was fantastic getting to know people within smaller groups like this.  Go Cherry!  (Even though we fail at getting out of the human knot.)


Frisbee teams (the Titans won, you see)!  And also mini golf.  Mustn't forget the mini golf.


There's lots of time to hang out.  And eat food.  And talk to people.  Lots and lots of people.  Also, apparently colored skinnies is a thang.


More crazy fun exciting elections stuff!  And waking up much too early to stand in line and vote...


The camp has a bluff with an incredibly beautiful view over the mountains.  It also has the best cell service in the whole place, ahem.


Coffeehouse (seriously so gorgeous at night).


 (Sometimes I snap random portraits of people.) (People are great.) (Also awkward, but that's another story.)


On the last (very emotional) day, there was the ultimate frisbee championship game under the lights, and tears and farewells and...food.  And the next morning it was even worse--trying to find people before they took off, giving last minute hugs, promises of roadtrips and seeing each other soon (everyone come visit me!).  I actually think I've convinced a couple friends from Virginia to come see The Wizard of Oz when we perform in August.  DO IT.


IN ALL.  A remarkably grand week.  Though I have many deep thoughts (my brain is a train wreck of deep thoughts recently) on it, besides just the superficial "yay cool people and cool things!" comments.  (Though trust me, there are definitely cool people and cool things.)

People are great.  Awkward, but great.  I love my NC peeps.

10 comments:

  1. ah, looks so fun! i saw some familiar faces from my two years of teenpact and other homeschool stuff... It sounds like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, how incredibly awesome and exciting for you Jenn! :)
    I swear you and your friends are so good looking, it's not funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks so awesome! haha, those pics are awesome too. love the one with big eyes..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved scrolling through these, jenn-dear. you all look so happy! (also, still not over my card from last night, ahh your letter was lovely.) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is lovely! it's great to meet people you admire in real life. wonderful photos x
    - Jianine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is totally unrelated to your post, but I just finished reading Les Miserables and I felt the need to come and comment and say that

    I UNDERSTAND.

    Because I needed someone to talk to who understands what I understand and who feels kinda-sorta the same way I do. So, whew. Such a good book. And I get it now. I totally get it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah man. this looks like such an awesome time with awesome people. sounds like quite the fun time!
    I must also say--everyone looks so stylish and cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos! I'm so glad you were in my room! I will remember this week forever.
    ~Mamie

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, this looks like so much fun. I just learned about TeenPact this year (as I’ve told you already, I think), and I sooooo wish I could have done it! Speech is my thing and leadership is really really fun to me. So. Sad tears.

    SECONDLY. That girl!! The one with my name (I think?)! In the ‘national convention’ shirt near the top? Okay, this is really weird, but…I am helping out at a VBS near my home this year, and we have to watch these music videos to learn the songs for the theme, “Kingdom Chronicles,” and oh my word! I could *swear* that girl (Lucia? How awesome someone out there has my name! :.) is in one of the videos! Haha….of course I could be wrong, but…seriously. You should ask her if she’s ever been in a VBS video. ;)

    Love youuu Jenn dahling. Please come visit me soon.

    Xo,
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! yup yup, Lucia's the one in the VBS videos. ;) I was just talking to her last night actually, and she's gotten that from a few people she just barely knows...they're like "whoa you're in VBS videos, is that actually you?" hehe! mah friend is famous. xD and yes, someone out there has your name! though we generally call her Luci. (: toooo funny. I feel like the world is very very small. and I WILL come see you someday. amen.

      Delete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.