Saturday, July 6, 2013

in which we meet the eiffel tower

first-ever view of the eiffel tower, from the train to versailles. magical.

My several thousand (yes, thousand) photos from Europe somehow got buried in my files and I've just recently been pulling them out again.  The nostalgia is bittersweet.  It's still crazy to see these pictures and know that I was there.  It's surreal, in a way.  I know ya'll saw some photos of Strasbourg, but Paris never really made its way to the blog.  At one point I thought my hard drive had died and I'd lost these forever, but after a lot of stress and prayer, they turned out okay.  So I wanted to share some with you, and it's especially appropriate because I miss my snazzy brother who's off having a grand old time in Europe without me now.


Getting a glimpse of la Tour Eiffel between buildings from a moving train is like Edmund eating that first bit of Turkish delight.  You can't help but want more.  Our first full day in Paris was quite wet, and our plans were to visit the underground Catacombs, but they closed about ten minutes before we arrived.  With unexpected time to kill, we decided to take the subway to the Eiffel Tower stop.  I still remember emerging from the underground station and turning in a circle, head tilted to the sky, trying to find the direction in which the Tower rose into the clouds.  And there it was, peaking up between the quaint little Parisian buildings.



It wasn't until a few days later, when the sun was out and the view unobscured, that we headed to the base of the Eiffel Tower again in the early morning to wait in line for an elevator to the top.  Grant wanted to climb the stairs, but we didn't have the time to spare (aaand he ended up in the wrong line), so we rode up together.  There was a random helicopter flying around the tower as if scoping out the premises...suspicious.


You stop at the first level and then can keep going all the way up to the top, 281 meters, and the view just gets better and better as you go.  It was incredible to see landmarks I had only read about, places we were planning on visiting later in the week.  To look over that beautiful city after weeks of pouring over a map, and to see it in real life: the Arc de Triomphe here, Sacre Cœur there, and oh, that must be Les Invalides, where rests Napoleon's tomb.  And then the Seine winding through it all.  Seriously breath-taking.


Random side note: one of my best friend's dad proposed to her mom on the Eiffel Tower.  Cue awh-ing.


SEE IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK REAL GUYS.  This is me and I was there.  I don't know, man.  The Eiffel Tower isn't something ya just get over.  Paris is magical, and I remember while I was there trying to figure out what exactly made it so special.  I don't even know if there's a reason, or if it's just because... it's Paris.  And in any case, that's enough for me.


ps--how was your fourth of july? mine was rainy and relaxing (first relaxing day in foreverrr). 'murica. say, so my show (music man) opens tonight! so so so excited to perform with this fabulous cast for show number one of six. I'll tell ya all about it later. :)

21 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely photos! I've never commented before, but just wanted to let you know that you have such an enjoyable blog. Good luck with your show tonight! Looking forward to hearing about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, this post is magical! This summer has been strange for me because I haven't gone on any trips. I've been experiencing a major case of wanderlust and this post really increased it (in a good way)! But seriously though, these pictures are stunning. They perfectly capture what I've envisioned Paris to be like.

    My Fourth of July was spent with family, swimming, and seeing the Lone Ranger. Then three of my neighbors did some fireworks while I was swimming, so I may or may not have felt like I was in the Great Gatsby ;) I hope your show goes well! You'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a beautiful time, though I rather go to good ol' Scotland anyday than Paris (mainly because of the language) :)

    My 4th of July was relaxing too. You can check it out here if you like:
    http://belovedstar02.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/4th-of-july-celebration/

    Take care then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. so... magical is right. what an incredible experience! the pictures are marvelous. :)
    good luck with your show tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. man, i'm a wizard. after getting your email today, i thought to myself... hmmm, jenn is on her computer.. i bet she has posted today! so i open up my lil' web browser to your blog address and BOOM. a post. that deserves a round of applause. or a chocolate. i'll take both.

    but honestly i'm just over here trying not to ooze with jealousy. i am aching to travel and seeing these pictures made me want to jump in a plane, fly to paris, and parachute onto the eiffel tower right now. thanks for that. really. and i'm really shocked you don't have a picture of you hugging the tower or kissing it or something. cuz you did that.... right?

    have a faaaabulous time at your show! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family and I went and saw 'The Music Man' a few months ago! It was was enjoyable! Sounds like fun!

    LOVE these pictures!

    Madison

    madisonemilee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, this is like perfect timing because I just got home from Paris a few days ago and I can visualize the places you're talking about and everything looks so familiar and also this makes me miss it a little bit, already. Love love the pictures & hearing about your own trip.

    Good luck with the Music Man! That's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...I am speechless! And jealous! I have always wanted to go to Europe, and seeing these pictures makes me want to even more! Looks like you had an awesome time while you were there! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breathtaking. Oh. My. Word. I've always wanted to see La Tour Eiffel and these photos make it all the more animated. Also, now I really want to be proposed to on the Eiffel tower as well. What have you done to me? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. excuse me while I go die in a hole from the major jealous-ness I have.
    like asdfghjkl. it's not even fair. these are seriously so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How you managed to get the pictures without fainting is amazing..(I'm terrified of heights)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my lands. jealousy and gleeps, you're so lucky. :P it looks beautiful! What did the air smell like? fresh, or sort of city-ish? (just because I'm curious...the air always smells so strongly during a mist)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gee, you're making me nostalgic but I can't even remember. it wasn't a dirty type of rain, so probably I'd say fresh more than anything. especially when it drizzled on us at those typically french outdoor markets...hmmm take me back.

      Delete
  13. this is breathtaking! wonderful shots, it looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is so great. i'm in love with the pic of the eiffel tower and the umbrella. and your hair against the paris sun is just so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness beautiful beautiful!! i want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woah. Magical is the word that was whirring round my mind from the first picture, before I even read the line "Paris is magical". These pictures took my breath, and I think a wee bit of my heart as well. Lovely, lovely, lovely! Can't wait to see these things for myself one day! For some reason there's this deep visceral happiness that comes over me when I see pictures of Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, it's not just you, there's something about Paris that's so amazing and magical...how awesome you got to visit it, it's still a top location for my traveling days! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all of the photos. So magical, indeed. I would love to go back to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you make Paris look and sound as enchanting as a fairy tale! I must, must go to France :) --love your pics, you're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Screw Nashville, lets go to Paris!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.