Friday, August 9, 2013

somewhere over the rainbow

True things about theatre:

You cannot have a personal bubble
Don't be shy and don't be embarrassed and don't compare yourself to anyone either
Too much is always better than too little
If you are ticklish, I will tickle you backstage
I'll also probably do some pathetic white girl dancing
You'll probably spend more money on stage makeup than regular makeup
If you sense drama within drama, run far far away
Be inclusive
It's okay to gossip a little bit when there's some showmance
It is not okay to be loud backstage. no. stop.
You should know a bunch of showtunes to belt in the dressing room
Don't suppress emotion, because being able to use that to express yourself is art
Be ready to jump in with an extra hand
You'll probably be super emotional when a really good show closes
Being friends with everyone isn't as intimidating as it seems
It's okay to wear your pjs before getting in costume
Don't have a big head
Blush and lipstick will be the bane of your existence
Massive group hugs are always a good idea
Be willing to laugh at yourself
It's impossible to tell how old people are when you're all in stage makeup
Always, always, always go out of your way to be encouraging
Theatre is not about being comfortable
Have inside jokes where no one is outside
Hard work always pays off
Everyone gets super close during tech week
Be ready to make not just best friends, but create family
The show must go on

In the form of a few hasty dressing room shots and crappy phone pictures, here is a peek into The Wizard of Oz.  This is the best show I've been a part of for...a long time.  Love my oz-some girls, love the friendship amidst this (huge) cast, love our amazing Dorothy (Bella...she's 12 and incredible), love jamming together before shows, love human trains during vocal warm-ups, love learning learning learning so much, love being surprised with theatre grams and roses, love keeping track of and pushing around a bunch of set pieces backstage, love the feeling of selling out three of four shows, love laughing and crying and becoming family with these people who are as passionate about this crazy theatre thing as I am.

somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true


ps--pictures from a lotta people, errywhere.
xo, Jenn

7 comments:

  1. Theater is seriously the best. Especially musical theater -- this past spring, my sister was Dorothy in our school's production of The Wizard of Oz. (Popular play, no? ;)) Looks like you, too, have so many great memories! And your list at the beginning of the post? SPOT ON. xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post so much.
    I am a huge drama person. Any play I can get my hands on, I'm in.
    Well, except musicals..(I have a terrible singing voice)
    Anyway, drama friends quickly become family.
    It's so great.
    Looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your true things about theatre cause well...they're so TRUE! Haha and it's good to be reminded of them. Ah, tech week is so hard, but you're right. Everyone gets closer that week.

    This whole post just resonates so deeply with me. Made my heart beat faster and made me smile. I don't know what it is about theatre...but it sure has a way of causing people to fall in love with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you do these posts! They pretty much make my week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love theater so much. And musicals are fantastic! The people that become family, the acting, the music - everything is just wonderful Love these posts. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, like, the coolest theatre pictures of yours EVER. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, Dorothy is so adorable! She's TWELVE!? Talent. Whoa.
    I love these pictures! I bet it was a super fantastic show! Wish I could have seen it and I'm so glad to hear you loved it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.