Friday, August 2, 2013

the windy city


The first time I went to Chicago, it was with my mom and sisters.  We squeezed into the tiny home of some lovely people we had just met, stayed for a few days exploring and walking and eating and walking and taking the American Girl Doll store by storm and walking and figuring out the L (elevated subway system) and laughing and walking some more.

The first time I took a roadtrip by myself, without my family, just with friends and my sister, in a big city all by ourselves to adventure and sightsee and have a jolly good time, it was to New York City.  We piled onto the floor of a friend’s apartment, and spent the weekend exploring and walking and eating and walking and seeing a show and walking and drinking Starbucks and laughing and walking some more.

Combine the two of those for the best of both worlds, and that equals the recent roadtrip to Chicago with Cassie and Michelle.  It was a spur-of-the-moment weekend trip to the Windy City.  And when I say “spur-of-the-moment,” I mean we’d talked about it for quite awhile but thanks to my good ol’ friend procrastination, didn’t plan until the very last minute.  By which I mean...I was still figuring things out the night before.  Joy.

But!  It was an absolutely lovely weekend.  It was so wonderful to have a super chill time, because even though the three of us had planned out some things we wanted to do and see, we had a lot of freedom to just...hang out in the city and do whatever.  Wander about the city, shop along the Magnificent Mile (and force each other to try on hideous outfits), get deep dish Chicago style pizza, have deep conversations in Starbucks, walk by the river as many times as possible, see a show (won the pre-show raffle for cheap front row seats...we were freaking out a little), attempt to sneak up the John Hancock Tower (apparently you have to be 21 cuz they sell drinks up there, darn it), explore little nooks and crannies of the area, chill in Millenium Park, take lots of pictures, hang out our whole last day at the beach (we forgot sunscreen...oh the pain), and just generally have a lovely time.  And oh heck yes we visited the American Girl Doll store again.

Best story? Well, the weather was generally pretty perfect while we were there, but Sunday evening we needed to catch a train at 8:40 to take us back to where we were staying (with friends an hour outside the city). We started heading back to the train station an hour early to make sure we got there on time. The subway we needed was closed because of an accident. We had to walk. It started to rain. We didn't have an umbrella. It was getting dark. Picture three soaked girls in cute dresses, now barefoot and carrying our shoes in an attempt to walk as quickly as possible to Union Station, while Michelle's iPhone (which was making sure we knew where we were going) was on about 2% battery. We got to the station at 8:45. Our train had left. We were wet, cold, and tired (that picture near the end of me hunched over was my attempt to stay warm...). The next train wasn't until 10:40. We didn't get back until midnight. So crazy. In hindsight? Such an adventure.

Chicago. I'm in love with this city.

14 comments:

  1. MAAMMA MIA. These are all so gorgeous.. and am I going crazy or in the reflection of the bean.. is there a bride in the background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes ma'am, there was a couple getting their wedding shots done there. :)

      Delete
  2. JENN!! I'm so jealous of all the amazing places you take trips to! You're totally gorgeous and it looks like you and a simply wonderful time. And your photographs? Kill me, they're fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like such a crazy time...and I'm agreeing with Megan, I just have so much jealousy for all the traveling you get to do. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, Jenn I love these! City photos just keep growing on me. I've been to Chicago twice but I was really young so my memories are few and pictures are nonexistent! I really want to go back with my camera in hand, and also tackle New York but OH WAIT you've been there too and took a bunch of awesome pictures. Anyways, I'm done now and basically, you take amazing city photos. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Chicago. I love looking at these pictures. 1, because they're awesome and artsy and generally gorgeous and 2, because they bring back memories of my recent trip to the same places. GAH! I so wish I could have been there with you! Soon. We'll have to try a roadtrip soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness. I'm love, love, loving your pictures! Chicago is one of the coolest cities. and the way you captured it with your adventures is wonderful. :)

    you are all gorgeous and super stylish, seriously! love the outfits.(and that adorable maxi skirt you're wearing!)
    the shot you got with your sunglasses is rad! and the pictures at the bean and the beach are awesome. :)

    what did you use to edit these, if I may ask? they are lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thaaank you, dahling. :) I edit with lightroom 4 + VSCO film presets. they've made editing SO wonderful, because I used to use photoshop and it was a drag.

      Delete
  7. Love these photos! I'm just starting out with my camera, and have the same one you have. Just curious, what program do you use for editing, and do you have any tips for that half of things? I'm getting the hang of photos, but editing is a different story... Thanks a million!

    ~Emily @ emilysleadd.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gee, I'm not sure I'm the best to give tips, I just kinda fly by the seat of my pants. ;) I use lightroom 4 + VSCO film presets for editing, and both are really really great. good luck!

      Delete
  8. aw jennnnn! these are so pretty! next time you're going to take me to chicago! and we'll call up your barely-friend's parents and ask to sleep in their apartment! and then jave adventures! yeah! apparently I really love exclamation points! so! yeah! loveyoubye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Y'all are so crazy! BUT, that is one of the things I love about you guys! You all are gorgeous too just for the record! :)

    Jenn, I just adore your pictures. They are stunning, as usual! I am so glad to see someone else put LOTS of pictures up...I now feel better about my picture frenzy :)

    Madison
    just. plain. Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like an adventure!! Chicago is such a fun city!! Love walking around there, and shopping and all of those things. The American Girl Place... my first time there was last winter. I loved it so much. And I love the pictures of that fantastic city!

    On a side note, what kind of camera do you use?
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, dear! I just adore Chicago. I have a Canon Rebel T3i, and his name is Bert. ;)

      Delete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.