Monday, October 14, 2013

n o t a l o n e .


People are often unreasonable and self-centered: forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives: be kind anyway.
If you're successful, you'll win some false friends and some true enemies: succeed anyway.
If you're honest and frank, people may cheat you: but be honest anyway.
What you spend years building, someone can destroy overnight: build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous: be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow: do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough: give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it's between you and God, it was never between you and them anyway.
-Mother Teresa 
______________________

I have a document on my computer that is solely full of quotes I find interesting or intriguing or inspiring, and I pull them out from time to time to share online or to paraphrase in everyday conversation (yes that happens).  I doodle my favorite quotes in margins along with song lyrics and different versions of my signature, and sometimes I wonder why it is another person's words can resonate with me so much.  I suppose sometimes they are a bit of encouragement or motivation; other times they're poignantly applicable or strangely convicting; still others they bring back a specific emotion or memory or mental image that directly connects to the words.  How can someone else's thoughts put down on paper have such a great effect on my own mind and heart?  The answer, I believe, is that finding a quote which speaks feelings I was unable to put into words makes me feel that, somehow, after all, I am not alone.

what are one or two of your favorite quotes? I always love finding more.
ps--I'm crying.

7 comments:

  1. You are not the only one with a document full of quotes!

    “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” C. S. Lewis
    +
    "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." ―A.A. Milne (smart little guy, that Pooh Bear)

    favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Not everything in this life has a happy ending, but this life is not the end of the story." -Rick Warren

    "There is something comforting about a billion stars held steady by a God who knows what He's doing." (from pinterest)

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, can i just give you a hug for posting this, jenn? seriously needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter, he who finds one, finds a treasure." Sirach 6:14

    "We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." Mother Teresa

    "Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer." Padre Pio

    Those are only a very few of the quotes I love.
    I've already told you this, but I'll say it again. I AM SO GLAD TO KNOW YOU. Also, we're like the same person sometimes...it's kinda scary. Mother Teresa quotes are some of my favorites, I LOVE Seabird, and artsy photographs always get me right here *motions to splooshing heart*. Speaking of which, we need to have a photoshoot. Soonish. Like, maybe before it gets all cold and dreary? Just sayin.

    I love you to pieces, Jenn, and you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh me! Quotes are my favorite; I have collected tons and love thinking about and sharing them... What you said was spot on and beautiful. =) One or two?! Oh dear. This is painful. And mine tend to be long...

    “Yet I know that good is coming to me - that good is always coming; though few have at all times the simplicity and the courage to believe it. What we call evil, is the only and best shape, which, for the person and his condition, could be assumed by the best good.” ~Phantastes, George MacDonald

    “He has made everything beautiful in its time, He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” ~Ecclesiastes 3:11

    "Water, wind and birdsong were the echoes in this quiet place of a great chiming symphony that was surging around the world. Knee-deep in grasses and moon daisies, Stella stood and listened, swaying a little as the flowers and trees were swaying, her spirit voice singing loudly, though her lips were still, and every pulse in her body beating its hammer strokes in time to the song." ~Gentian Hill, Elizabeth Goudge

    And then there's Tolkien and Lewis and Chesterton and TS Eliot and...but that's already more than enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eep! someone who understands me. Thank you for this. Quotes...that feeling of not-alone-ness...it's so good. A couple of my favourites are:

    "I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say," - Flannery O'Conner

    "I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night" - Sarah Williams

    And I feel like I have about six more that are so obvious that I'm just completely missing them. Which happens a lot, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This quote makes me think of you: "Be bold or italic...never regular."

    "It feels good to be lost in the right direction."

    "Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." --Margaret Lee Runbeck

    I love you, Jenn. Isn't it so amazing that many people of all different places and generations and ages could have thoughts that collided? That we could share the emotions of a person from a hundred years ago...God truly twists our lives together in unexplainable ways <3

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.