Monday, December 23, 2013

as long as you love me so


when we finally kiss good night
how I'll hate going out in the storm
but if you'll really hold me tight
all the way home I'll be warm

oh, the fire is slowly dying
and my dear, we're still goodbying
but as long as you love me so
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow


Well, if we're being realistic, let it rain is a bit more accurate.  We've had weird December temperatures in the 60s that melted all hopes of a white Christmas, but honestly last Christmas was the first white one I can remember having, and somehow it doesn't surprise me.  Also--Christmas.  It's Christmas Eve Eve.  How did that happen?  Christmas gets weirder and weirder every year.  It sneaks up on you faster, it's riddled with strange hopes and regrets and memories, it's more practical than full of little kid wonder.

My sister's church has been doing an advent series on wonder, on seeing Jesus--not only during this season when we celebrate his coming, but always--as who he says he is, who he came to be for us--immanuel, king, redeemer.  I want to remember that, because it's easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of emotions and duties that accompany the end of December.  I've been trying to focus on being giving of myself, how much more so because of him who gave all for me.  And Ali in the Clerk's Office has been passing around her redemption cupcakes because she prayed so hard over making them, so there's always a reason to remember Jesus in the little things.

In other news, I've been soaking up every bit of break that I can in between working extra hours.  Soaking up break may or may not mean watching embarrassing amounts of netflix (I know. I'm ashamed. but I'm finally watching The Office in order so it's like really great and stuff).  I got to sing with my brother at the Christmas open mic and my cousin got married and I went to an ugly Christmas sweater party that no one told me was an ugly Christmas sweater party and I WAS SO SAD because of course I wasn't wearing one.

Four paragraphs in and I've realized that I have no idea how to write a Christmas post at this point.  Excuse me while I count down the hours until our Christmas Eve candlelight service.  Merry Christmas, friends.  Remember that God came near to you.

4 comments:

  1. yes, let it rain. It's so sad. :P It's interesting, too, how Christmas does change every year...I'm learning to be okay with it, although in the past I've panicked and tried to force things to stay the same. Which obviously doesn't work. It's been good to realize that this is normal, that it happens to everyone and it's okay...
    anyways. end rambling. love the picture of the tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! Iris Hanlin, writer/blogger/photographer, writing to you from cyber-world, inviting you to join by blog, Country Girl’s Daybook (http://www.iris-hanlin.com). This is where I muse about a wide range of topics: fashion, photography, food, lifestyle, and travel. I think you’ll enjoy it, and I hope to see your name around these parts! :) Today's sample: "Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together." - Woodrow Wilson http://www.iris-hanlin.com/2013/12/sitting-talking.html
    God bless!

    Iris H. - Writer/Photographer


    ReplyDelete
  3. As always Jenn, I'm in love with you're quirky normal-ness and how your random writing style just flows so well - that may sound like a contradiction, but it's the truth!
    Merry Christmas!!

    Soli Deo Gloria!

    -K<><

    P.S. You should write more. Just saying. I check your blog probably two or three times a day to see if you've posted anything :)
    P.S.2. If you have a minute, would you check out my attempt at a photo blog and drop me some advice/suggestions-on-improvement/ideas/criticisms/etc. ? It's doublemphoto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. merry christmas to you :) absolutely love this post and that picture, too! x
    -Jianine

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.