Sunday, December 29, 2013

may we remember who we are

A couple weeks ago, I played at the open mic where I've gone for...well gee, more than a year now.  I got to sing with my brother, which I was terribly excited about.  Grant came to the open mic for the first time nine months ago, and I've wanted to sing with him ever since, but he'd never made it back until this month.  It was such fun.

cuz my fam is precious.
I also sang another song on my own.  I heard it two days before the open mic and knew I wanted to sing it right away.  I learned it quite roughly (...very roughly) in a day and played it with the chords in front of me, and each time I've heard or played it since, it makes my face and heart scrunch up in a funny little way of understanding exactly what this song feels like.

I might be wrong, but it feels as if it wasn't really until this past year that music started being really personally meaningful to me.  It brings back memories and moves pieces of me and makes me feel things.  Anyway I find this song sweet and relatable and...hopeful.  It's amazing to me how someone else's words can so closely relay a lot of what I've been feeling over this past month in general.  And singing it a couple of weeks ago while feeling unsure about a number of things, it made me want to welcome December with tireless hope.  It's somehow comforting and this song has become close to my heart.

So...since the song basically says it all, I'll just leave it here.  This is "Snow" by Sleeping at Last.  Excuse my messy house and sketchy audio.

 
_______________________________
the branches have traded their leaves for white sleeves
all warm blooded creatures make ghosts as they breathe
scarves are wrapped tightly like gifts under trees
christmas lights tangle in knots annually

all families huddle closely, betting warmth against the cold

all the bruises seem to surface, like mud beneath the snow

so we sing carols softly, as sweet as we know

a prayer that our burdens will lift as we go
like young love still waiting under mistletoe
we'll welcome december with tireless hope

let our bells keep on ringing, making angels in the snow

may the melody disarm us when the cracks begin to show
like the petals in our pockets may we remember who we are
unconditionally cared for by those who share our broken hearts

the table is set and all glasses are full
though pieces go missing may we still feel whole
we'll build new traditions in place of the old
'cause life without revision will silence our souls

let the bells keep on ringing, making angels in the snow

may the melody surround us when the cracks begin to show
like the petals in our pockets may we remember who we are
unconditionally cared for by those who share our broken hearts

as gentle as feathers, the snow piles high

our world gets rewritten and retraced every time
like fresh plates and clean slates, our future is white
new year's resolutions will reset tonight
_______________________________

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!  Mine was fairly uneventful but also very relaxing, and I can't wait to share more later.  Any fantastic plans for the New Year?

xo, Jenn

8 comments:

  1. So pretty Jenn. You have a gorgeous voice. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that song has a lot of soul to it. Gorgeous job, Jenn. Yup, I like this song and I like your voice.
    Do you have any tips for locating open mic opportunities?? I have been valiantly searching for one, but it is proving elusive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so fabulous! Also, that dress is awesome.

    New Year's Resolution: go back to school so I can hang out with yooouuuu!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite songs! And you play/sing it so wonderfully. Your hair is marvelous, too.

      (typo in the last comment, and I'm all OCD like that, so...)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness you have an amazing voice, and you hair and dress are both gorgeous :) I just found your blog and I love it!
    Brooke Jordan

    http://lifeisaconstantjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow. This is so beautiful. I had never heard the song before, but now I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My laptop's sound isn't good and because I was at my "work", but what I could hear was really great. Did I say before that I love your voice?

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.