Friday, December 6, 2013

Thanksgiving in NYC

Twas the night before Thanksgiving and all through the house...actually, erm, it was two days before Thanksgiving, and I wasn't in the house because off I trotted to New York City.  Random?  Actually...yes.  Plans were made just the day before (all too typical for all my roadtrips, really), and I went with my friend Meander who was visiting a college up there.

Pause.  Her name is Meander.  We call her Mea for short, but her parents wanted her name to be a verb, so they called her Meander.  I know, I know.  I'm jealous too.  Anyway I was in Les Mis with Meander (she played a very dashing man) and when she asked me to go along, I jumped at the opportunity.  Mea is as much in love with theatre as I am, and we pretty much decided we would forgo food if it meant being able to see shows on Broadway.

Let us begin our adventures, shall we?


When we first arrived, it was drizzling just a tad, but we went to a kosher bake shop (yum) and explored a little and found pictures of Adam Levine, so it really wasn't so bad.


After dropping off our things where we were staying, we headed to Times Square.  Mea and I had looked up a couple shows we wanted to see and tried to find cheap tickets, and we needed dinner before we went.  New York style pizza, baby.  Times Square is under a bit of construction right now, so it's a little crazy.  But...brilliant.


So I've been wanting to see Cinderella on Broadway for...a long time.  It's a revival of the classic Rogers and Hammerstein musical, but with some fresh twists for a deeper and more interesting plot.  But the main reason that I wanted to see it was because of the two leads--Laura Osnes and Santino Fontana.  They are just...precious.  I want them to be in love in real life.  I follow along videos and photos of the cast (does this make me a theatre nerd yet?) and was so excited to finally get to see them live.  And we got to meet Laura (and other cast members) afterward!  For any of you who saw the Cinderella cast perform at the Thanksgiving Day Parade--yeah, that onstage costume transformation into her ball gown--it's mind-blowing in real life.


The next morning we got up bright and early to try to find a spot for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  It was a looovely morning, and a lovely surprise considering I was expecting to freeze. Yay sun.


I actually have a million and one photos from the parade, but, ya know, didn't have room to upload them all, so here's just a few.  Can I just say, Toothless is super adorable.  AND yeah well I kind of love the Pillsbury Doughboy.


After the parade we went to this cute little deli to get lunch.  And tea.  Okay so the majority of our trip revolved around tea.  Our first night there we went out at midnight in search of tea.  Good times.  Tea is wonderful.  Amen.


The sun was quite lovely and everything was gearing up for Christmas.  Mea and I slipped into a couple stores and shops just to browse.


Do you know how much it distresses me that I haven't more pictures of Chinatown?  I'm not-so-secretly obsessed with Chinatown.  Oh my word.  Thing of beauty.  Lots of street-side shops, and let's just say I'm becoming a pro at bartering.  I had a pretty rude run-in with a Chinese lady who ended up kicking us out of her shop, but I still got a scarf and five dollar pair of oxfords.  Yes please.


This was all Thanksgiving day, which was actually the most interesting Thanksgiving I've ever had.  It was weird to be away from my family and not have a big Thanksgiving meal and spend the day lounging around.  We had a Peruvian meal for dinner and I stayed up late on tumblr and watching The Office with Mea falling asleep on me.


The next morning began our last day in the city.  Mea and I set out to Union Square, which was close to where we were staying.  There was this adorable holiday market set up--gee I love those kind of things.  I am unfortunately too broke to have gotten anything, but all the hand-crafted things are just so lovely to look at.


We then headed off to Broadway/Times Square to grab tickets for the matinee we were going to see--Once the musical.  Sadly, someone told us incorrectly that there were student rush tickets up for grabs, and...there wasn't.  So we ran down the street to two other theatres and ended up getting the last two (standing room only) tickets to Kinky Boots!  I had heard of Kinky Boots, but didn't really know what it was about at all.  Mea had been wanting to see it, and it was quirky and funny and in the second act we found empty seats to sit down in.  Turns out it's about...making boots for drag queens (yep).  Still a fun show, though.  We got to meet some cast members afterward too, including Annaleigh Ashford (who has been in shows like Wicked and the original cast of Legally Blonde)!


We passed by the theatre where Les Mis opened in 1987.  Precious.


Times Square is bustling and lively in the sunlight (especially with all those Black Friday shoppers), but nothing beats Times Square at night.  It's really just...big and brilliant and full of life and this crazy kind of magic.  Mea and I walked around dueting "Hey There Delilah" more than once ("Times Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true").


We headed back to Union Square again, got some coffee, lamented that we hadn't gotten tea, and spent a long amount of time in Strand, a bookstore called the home to 18 miles of books.  That place is a book-lovers heaven, aka, my heaven.  We browsed through classics, art, photography, poetry--yeah, I may or may not have bought myself some collected works of e.e. cummings.  (I just...love his poetry. makes me feel things. ahhh so good, go read some.)  Also got a pretty legit Great Gatsby shirt which I've been wanting for a long time.  Gee bookstores are my favorite.


We also hopped on the subway and visited the Flatiron Building, which I didn't get to see last time I was in NYC but have been wanting to see for quite awhile.  I don't know, there's something very lovely and fascinating about it.


Annnd that was our last night in the city.  We visited Mea's family in Pennsylvania on the way back, and got our fair share of pie that we had missed out on during Thanksgiving.  Quite a successful trip, I'd say, and wow wow wow I just love getting to see shows, and I love having theatre friends, and heck, we even got to eat too (a very good thing).  Everyone go to NYC if you can.  If you need suggestions for a show to see--well, you know where you can find me.

ps--the giveaway is still open for another week! go enter now!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, your trip looked absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmygoodnesgraciousfa;lkjasdflk;sdafkl. these are AMAZING. it just captures EVERYTHING about NYC so perfectly {the black n' white stills + your collages are GORGEOUS} and I am so jelly that you saw the Thanksgiving parade and saw NYC bedecked in Christmasy goodness. :D gah, you make me so full of wanderlust. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could say I'm envying you....I went to NYC first time last spring for a missions trip! I would love to go again on a leisure trip there! Like around Christmas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wo-ow....jealousy! :P how come I never get to go anywhere fun? looks like such a blast...and I love your shirt! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel as if I was there; this is stunningly beautiful and profound. Just love it!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. sure, no big deal, just pop over to NYC why dontcha. I don't care, I'm not jealous AT ALL. one day, my lil jenn de la creme, we shall go to NYC together ok? ok good. also, your pictures are beaaauuutiful, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH COME ON DO YOU JUST GET TO GO EVERYWHERE. seriously, jenn, you've got it made. and these pictures are all kinds of beautiful! you are the best at travel photography. and next time you go to NYC, just take me with you, k?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn, I am so happy you had a fabulous trip in NYC. It's one of my very favoritest places on earth. Also...this entire post just made me miss you like crazy. You are adorable in your red scarf + headband combo. Can we pretty please take another road trip together someday? Pleaaaseeee?

    You are an amazing photographer. Stay gorgeous and creative, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THESE PICTURES ARE SO WONDERFUL OH MY GOODNESS I'M IN LOVE. This makes me want to visit NYC even more now. That's all.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments are the best thing since sliced bread. Unkind comments are the worst thing since hamsters.

But really. Comments make me happy.